Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: are my pigs too big??????????  (Read 1989 times)

NicVic

• Joined Jul 2011
are my pigs too big??????????
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:43:51 pm »
Hello, just got back from a week away, and our two 22 week old saddleback boars (entire) have suddenly blossomed, so to speak! we had two G.O.S x O.S.B boars for the freezer last summer, and they went at approx 88 kilos, at 28 weeks. Our local slaughter-house said they were too big, but weve just measured the bigger of this years boys, and he's 96 kilos! I read conflicting opinions on size and age, but as they are for pork, not bacon what's the general concession, time to ring the slaughterman? He won't be happy. thanks for any opinions Nic :) :)

robert waddell

Re: are my pigs too big??????????
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:53:02 pm »
the slaughterhouse complain because there scalding tanks cant take bigger pigs also the hight of the hooks on the slaughter line is to low (the heads trail on the floor)and the heads have to be cut of          time to locate another slaughterhouse :farmer:

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:30:04 am »
our next batch will be going on 1st aug they weigh 105kg with a week to go they will be a mix of pork & bacon.

robert is correct in saying its the slaughterhouses equipment that cant take larger pigs, one we use can only take upto 190lb DW, the other 2 no limit. its worth looking around for other slaughterhouses in your area.

Bioman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »
Quick question are you feeding them too much? Your pigs are growing at an extraordinary rate! The right amount of pig food for me seems to be the amount of food eaten in 20 min by the pigs. Anymore they get fat, any less and they dont grow

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:51:40 pm »
you are quite correct bioman     but weather the breed and if they have a worm burden are also contributing factors to there growth
it is important to keep a check on the weight gain we had one that weighed 40 kilos at 20 weeks seven weeks later it weighed 84 kilos no two pigs grow the same   and if overfed you just get fat  :farmer:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »
We just sent our OSB x GOS gilts to slaughter - and at 30 weeks DW was 89, 81 and 75kg - my estimates on LW were 105, 95 and 85kg.
Our slaughterhouse seems to accept all sizes of pig - there was one in the lairage that must have been pushing 250kg - the slaughterhouse charges different amounts for different sizes: up to 65kg, 65-90kg and over 90kg.
Personally I'd look for an alternative salughterhouse.
 :)
Tish

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:34:07 pm »
you can lose 20-30 kilos when they go through the slaughter  even more if you dont get the heads back and are skinned :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS