Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what pig  (Read 7424 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
what pig
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:55:04 pm »
hi..... i have an acre of ground.... for my ducks... it was grass but the nettles and docks are slowly taking over, dont want to spray again as they come back again next year..... what duck friendly pigs about 2-3 do you recomend to keep the docks and nettlesdown. i dont want big pigs, or pet pigs. want somthing that will maintain the ground without to much digging and be killed sometime when ready for my own consumption so econmics doesnt matter need a gardener that i can eat later. i like bacon ham and sausages rather than pork jionts, are kunes suitable.... have running water, shelter etc

robert waddell

Re: what pig
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:22 pm »
sorry to burst your bubble but no pigs are suitable for your idea          any pig will eat your ducks  sorry  :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:44:07 pm »
BUGGER.............. ok so i will have to segregate them i have some excellent heavy fenceing to separate the land in 1/2..... so please answer again forget the duck friendly bit

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:44:59 pm »
Hi Harry,
British Lop, Tamworth, Hampshire, the list of pigs, there are 14 pig breeds, any one of these will be good gareners but the best is no dooubt the tamworth. Yes Robert is right, they will eat your ducks, :pig: :pig:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:47:13 pm »
Harry,
If you can get piglets that are well used to the electric fence and respect it you will have very little problems regarding your ducks and pigs. :pig: :&>

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:22 pm »
and do not forget the kunnies basically what ever pig you like you will think the world of them :farmer:

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:53:33 pm »
While I agree with the consensus that all pigs will eat chickens and ducks, I have to say that my 3 Large Blacks have never harmed my 6 chickens, when they hop into their area  to pick up scraps.   When one of my lame sows was put into the hospital wing of the barn, prior to being PTS, my little silkie bantam spent 3 days and 3 nights with her, sometimes just snuggling down on her back.  Sometimes there is just something magical about animal friendships.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »
inquired about kunes...prefer a small breed as i dont want the land destroyed....are they any good for bacon, as i eat plenty of that and sausages
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:56:15 pm by harry »

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:01:41 pm »
yes you get sausages and bacon       it is just you will think you are on a diet     small pig  :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »
thinking small pigs for the first time....maybe something a bit bigger next year, easier to fence in etc.maybe less ground, tree damage.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »
HEY ! Size isn't everything Robert  :P and they're not that small !  :P ;D Your 'standard 85Kg liveweight porker will kill out at approx. 65 Kg and you can expect approx 45 Kg of pork cuts (can't think of the proper term) compare that to a Kune @ 11 months old giving 33 Kg of cuts and it's not that far off really  ;)
My last crosses went at 'the magic' 6 months old, no idea what liveweights were  :-[ but the deadweights ranged from 45 - 50 Kg, and we got an average of 38 Kg from each of them. I know, I keep saying it, but I LIKE Kune Kunes  :love: :pig: :love: :yum:

Harry - You can make bacon from any pork loin - just Kunes are a little bit smaller, so the piece of bacon is a bit smaller (but the taste more than makes up for it, I think  ;)) and they're great for sausages.
With around half an acre, 2 or 3 pigs should be all you're looking for. I'd go for 3 entire males to maximise your 'growth potential' but NEVER mix gilts and uncastrated boars, or you run the risk of ending up with piglets. They become sexually mature as early as 3 months in some cases  :o Kunes typically grow a bit slower (being 10-12 months old before being ready to slaughter) but the feeding is less than standard 'big' pigs - Kunes only need around 1lb of hard feed per day when on grass (and as much fruit as they'll eat  ;)) otherwise they get VERY fat.
Where abouts are you Harry ? Maybe there's someone close to you who you could visit and see some Kune Kunes ?
Karen  :wave:

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »
I keep my chickens in with my pigs and they're fine.  The chickens actually try to perch in the pig house overnight if I don't shoo them into the henhouse.  I've also heard chickens will reduce the parasites that live around pigs.  I know you have ducks not chickens but in 3 years I've never seen one of my pigs go for the chickens or the chicks.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 11:27:41 pm »
I had a Kune leg for dinner tonight and it was lovely :) I only keep kunes and they seem to be less distructive than i thought (BUGGERATION) so we're getting a gilt or 2 in a bigger breed.  No idea re chickens as i've never tried it.

HH is right lovely meat from a Kune agreed yes it is smaller but on the plus side they're easier to handle :)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 11:30:23 pm »
Hate to disagree with some of the other posters, but I've got wild ducks plus ducklings roaming around and feeding on leftover pig food in my Tamworth paddocks. In my experience, ducks are quicker on the uptake than chickens (I've lost one or two which have found their way over the pig fence) and learn to move a lot faster.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 10:02:49 am »
HI, we have British lops and my ducks are free to roam during the day and we never have lost any to the pigs, at feed time the ducks often come and help them selves to our boars food without any problem what so ever!   :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS