Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune -v- Berkshire, facts and figures  (Read 9545 times)

HappyHippy

Kune Kune -v- Berkshire, facts and figures
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:47:26 pm »
I thought I'd post this info for you all to see.
Now, I didn't ever intend sending the Berkshire for slaughter but nobody wanted to buy her and she was being quite aggressive to her sister, didn't take with the AI and was generally being a pest. I know I could have sent her younger, thus saving on costs and probably gaining about the same amount of pork, but as I said, she wasn't supposed to be destined for slaughter  :-\
Makes for interesting reading I think.

Berkshire                             Kune Kune
Age at slaughter   11 months                11 months
Feeding      503 Kg = 25 bags of feed        *81 Kg = 9 bags of feed
Total cost to raise    £229.50                              £109.50
Deadweight       58 Kg                                38 Kg
Volume of meat       42 Kg   (75% of DW)      33 Kg   (85% of DW)
Sausages                    13 Kg                                4.5 Kg
Bacon                     8 Kg                                 n/a
Other pork        21 Kg                              28.5 Kg
* 1 pound of feed per day and being the softy that I am, I gave about 3 pounds a day during the 2 months of winter we had - they probably didn't need that much  ::)
Karen x
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:14:00 pm by HappyHippy »

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Kune Kune -v- Berkshire, facts and figures
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:05:17 pm »
Interesting HH but you haven't factored in costs for feeding the Kune Kune other than bagged feed. Even if they only have grass it costs to produce it and you tend to feed fruit and treets so that needs to be included. All said and done it is quite a bit cheaper per kg than the Berkshire but I think I will stick to the Berkshires ha ha.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »
really interesting reading - thank you.
our first pigs were berkshire and they were delish i have to say.
never tried kune kunes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »
It's great to have the info Karen, thanks.  I don't suppose you got a back-fat (probe) measurement for them, did you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »
Interesting HH but you haven't factored in costs for feeding the Kune Kune other than bagged feed. Even if they only have grass it costs to produce it and you tend to feed fruit and treets so that needs to be included. All said and done it is quite a bit cheaper per kg than the Berkshire but I think I will stick to the Berkshires ha ha.
Ah, but I did (I just cut it out from the post) the bagged feed cost £7.50 per 20Kg, there was an extra £42 added to the feed cost (for both) to give the TOTAL cost to raise.... so 9 times the £7.50 plus £42 equals £109.50. The extra £42 covered straw, medicines and 'incidentals' such as slaughter charge etc - I don't have to buy fruit anymore, having found a free (and legal & above board) source for it  ;)

What impressed me more than anything was the %age of pork to dead weight with the Kune Kune - I think they must have hollow bones  ;D
AND there was slightly less fat on the Kune than on the Berkshire believe it or not (I think around 15mm on the Kune, but will get the ruler out if anyone wants exact numbers  :D) Didn't get a probe measurement though Sally  :-\

Egglady, you're not too far away from me are you ? I think a visit is most definately in order sometime soon. I've a freezer full of pork. You can meet the pigs, then eat the pigs  :o ;D :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »
i think you usually get pse probe readings if the carcase is being sold wholesale rather than for your own consumption, well thats the case with the 3 slaughterhouses we use.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:17:24 pm »
HH, no i dont think i am.  we are near cupar. love to meet up....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:27:38 pm »

If you can wait to 18th August, I'm meeting HH at the rare breed sale at Lanark. We can car share if you want to go to.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »
As you know HH Robert is doing facts and figures are we speak, but it is scary when all is added into costs, even the petrol going for the free fruit and veg.

t c lil

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »
lanark is going to be interesting that day ;) :farmer:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »

If you can wait to 18th August, I'm meeting HH at the rare breed sale at Lanark. We can car share if you want to go to.

ooooh tempted, very very tempted....can i come back to you nearer the time?

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »
aye right lillian petrol in a diesel motor       i dont think i will post the cost on here        half the cost to produce with twice the weight i will need to dig out the weights of pinky and perky at 11 months old  :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »

'Aye Skint' is coming down this Sunday - are you anywhere near her ? Maybe that would be another car share opportunity ?

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »
aye right lillian petrol in a diesel motor       i dont think i will post the cost on here        half the cost to produce with twice the weight i will need to dig out the weights of pinky and perky at 11 months old  :farmer:
Hehehe - I keep saying "I'm going for petrol" obviously I mean diesel  ::)
And don't go showing me up with your mammoth pork producing machines  ;D ;D ;D Mine are small pigs and yours are monsters ! They're not the USA's favourite breed for nothing  ;)
I just think..... for folks wanting small, friendly, easily managed small pigs that will give good meat and not trash everything in sight, you really can't go past a Kune Kune  ;) And they are so much prettier than any other pig (but I would say that, cos I'm a girl !)
Karen x  :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

'Aye Skint' is coming down this Sunday - are you anywhere near her ? Maybe that would be another car share opportunity ?
where is ayeskint?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS