Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune x is as wide as she is tall !!!  (Read 5211 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Kune x is as wide as she is tall !!!
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:07:02 pm »
After the loss of the single piglet at the beginning of the week we seperated the other massive female.  She is now in her own pen with an ark and a makeshift windbreaker (made out of an old plastic shed thingy) to stop any drafts from going into the ark.  She has dragged lots of reeds into the other side where there is no shelter and she seems to be laying down there a lot.  She has a lovely bed of shavings and straw and we've put a load more reeds and cut long grass for her to make her own bed.

Yesterday she was laying down and very restless (but that could have been down to being preg and it was rather warm) and when she laid down she was wider than she is tall (when she is standing up) but still alert and happy.  She isn't the most social of our herd and we're lucky if we can touch her nose so we cannot get to her big belly to have a feel.  I was hoping that she would have gone last night ........... but no :(

Hubby went over this morning and she came out for her food with a wagging tail and nice and happy.  We're on tender hooks now and going over there twice a day, as we don't live on the land,  to make sure she is ok.  Is there any tell tale signs?  Her belly/teats are about 2-3 inches floor and she is very heavy and uncomfortable.  She doesn't seem to have "bagged up" but saying that the one who delivered the other day didn't bag up the night before she gave birth.

Help fellow TAS'ers
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:35:50 pm by welshlass181 »

HappyHippy

Re: Kune x is as wide as she is tall !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:13:34 pm »
Once there's milk at the teats (normally you check by gently expressing) labour should start within 24 hours. If she's not terribly social you might have problems if/when you have to assist, and possibly once the piglets arrive (unusual in Kunes, but depends on what she's crossed with) a couple of cans of sweetheart stout will chill her out should that happen  ;)
Good luck !
Karen x

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »
We've been giving her some nice feeds and she is slowly coming around to us.  She had some rich tea biscuits yesterday that she took out of our hands but there is no way we can get close to her.  She was VERY shy when we had her so just being able to touch her is a bonus.  Will take over some grapes and sit in there see if i can get somewhere before she delivers.

She is crossed with GOS but still small.  She is about 18" maybe a bit more tall but has a massive belly lol oh well i cannot do anymore for her so will just continue what i am doing and hope that it goes well.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:02 pm »
Even Lucy our mental mangalitza didn't mind me being there for her farrowing, though once she'd had her piglets she would go for me if I went in the pen! If she won't let you touch her to see if she will let down milk, the most reliable signs of something about to happen (in our experience with OSBs and mangalitzas, anyway) are: making a definite "nest" and vulva swelling. You'll know she's definitely on the way when she's lying down and panting/grunting: hard to describe but unmistakable once seen.
Mind you, with our "first timers" I can still sometimes be up every couple of hours during the night just checking. I know they're really in labour if I offer them an apple and they don't come out to get it!
HH is right about the stout, or cider works well too!

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »
Do i just give her the drink in a bucket? Or do i mix it with meal or something?

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:42:02 pm »
Mine drinks it straight from the can  :o but maybe that's a Scottish thing  :-\ ;) :D ;D ;D
You can mix it with meal or try it in a bucket - suck it and see as they say  ;)
Karen  :wave: ;D ;D ;D

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 05:07:16 pm »
We'll give it to her in a bucket i think cos she'll bolt if we get to close

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 11:24:56 pm »
Hubby went over earlier on and she was still fat and happy:) came out grunting and had her ears pricked ......... this waiting is doing my head in lol she will POP soon  :P

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:28:19 pm »
Today ..... still no piglets :( she seems swollen and has been for a day or 2 now but she is still alert and happy to see us with her feed bucket.  She seems to have "dropped" and her belly is very close to the floor.  I was wondering if they drop like women do when they reach last stages of pregnancy?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »
Yes they do drop like women, thats a good sign, this indicates a day or so to go, look out for milk now and evidence of nesting, make sure theres nothing valuable or anything that can hurt her if she takes it to her bed, pigs can collect all kinds of strange things when they make their nest!
HTh
Good luck
Mandy  :pig:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 04:27:48 pm »
No piglets today ... grrrr.  Still the same huge hanging belly, ears pricked, eating well, alert, swollen bits but no piglets.  Will have to poke her soon :)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:31 pm »
suspense is killing me! its gotta be soon!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 05:41:51 pm »
she will have her babies when she is ready, let mother nature take its course, i know the wait can be frustrating :pig: :pig:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »
We're going about the normal routine :) i know she'll go when she's ready.  Still wanna poke her tho lol

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 10:06:45 am »
You do realise that all the pig world is waiting on tenterhooks for this birth? ;D
My turn next week Twinkle is swelling up nicely, moved her to farrowing house at the weekend, she seems quite content.
Let us know when you can.
Good luck
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS