Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cream separators  (Read 21267 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Cream separators
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:07:10 pm »
We are currently thinking about a cream separator. The only make I can generally find is the one made by MILKY, and it comes to around 850 quid in various catalogues/internet. Don't seem to be able to find anything cheaper, other than the Ukrainian outfit on e-bay (I don't use ebay usually).

Question: Is anyone aware of another make of reliable cream separator, for use in UK? If not - how reliable is the MILKY one? Spare parts?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Cream separators
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:12:45 pm »
seems horrnedously expensive doesnt it?

what about googling how to make oyur own?  and then make two and i'll take the first one off your hands....lol

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:57:55 pm »
When I had a Jersey for the house I bought a second hand one, but I never managed to get the cow in calf after that, and it is in the loft somewhere.  I think I paid around £150 for it about 10 years or more ago.  Its in Worcestershire so if you are interested PM me and come and have a look at it.  It works by hand rather than electric

All the best
Sue
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:59:36 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:50:31 am »
Hi Anke

We're waiting for one to arrive from the Ukranian website. We ordered direct, not through e-bay. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.
I must admit to being a bit skeptical, but at £850 we'd never have bought one so worth a try.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:48:51 am »
I'll also be interested in your Ukrainain machine. I kind of baulk at £850.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:20:18 pm »
We've had an ebay Ukraine cream separator for nearly 2 years. I do cream through the milking season every 3rd day. Most times it is fine (cleaning it is a pain) but every now and then it decides to sit badly and we get the odd grinding noise. This is easily fixed by pressing down on one side of the milk 'arms'. I think it just sometimes vibrates off the little plastic catch that holds the arms in place.

For £90 (I think that's what we paid) it has more than paid for itself. I love it :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:05:24 pm »
When I had a Jersey for the house I bought a second hand one, but I never managed to get the cow in calf after that, and it is in the loft somewhere.  I think I paid around £150 for it about 10 years or more ago.  Its in Worcestershire so if you are interested PM me and come and have a look at it.  It works by hand rather than electric

All the best
Sue

Sounds great Sue - but we are in Scotland. if you can find it and put it on ebay - you may find that it is snapped up! Nothing remtoely useful on there atm.

I am just sooooo sceptical of anything that comes from the Ukraine, or that part of the world, especially if I have to give out my credit card details.... Also the price difference between the Ukrainian one (at about 90quid on ebay) and the others at 10x the price just makes me very wary (as in why is it so cheap, or why can the others sell theirs at such an inflated price?). Found two makes - one is Milky, the other Elecrem.

I have found a hand-cranked one for 450 Euros, but not sure where that one comes from. I guess everyone here is using/planning to use the electric version?

Crofter - I am awaiting the review of your machine before we go any further...
Skirza - you using the electric one? Are all the "insides" made of plastic?

Oh, bedtime now!!!!

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:51:31 am »

Skirza - you using the electric one? Are all the "insides" made of plastic?

Oh, bedtime now!!!!

Electric one. The main housing that holds the motor is plastic (not found it in anyway flimsy). The centrifugal bit, the milk 'arms' and the bowl are metal, the bit that holds the bowl off the arms is plastic. As I say, I bought it off ebay so no credit card details were used (paypal). It works, I get lovely thick cream from my goats milk which has to be a good thing, that's all I can say

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:13 am »
The one we've ordered was £55 for a hand crank one, I've come across eastern european motors before, though if the one Skirza has is ok after 2 years I may have to reconsider my opinion!
I beleive the one we ordered is made of plastic with stainless steel "cones". Still waiting for it to arrive, though it's not due for a couple of days yet.
I'll keep you all posted.

Dave

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 03:35:37 pm »
this is on at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cream-separator-/300578518430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45fbe0359e

That's great - I have put that on my watch list.  I had pretty well forgotten I had it until this thread came up.  I shall have to  crawl in amongst the spiders webs and look it out

Sue  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »
The seperator arrived and it is comlete and well packed. It is made largely of plastic with stainless steel "cones" and a set of instructions that are quite funny (translation) but understandable.
It is shipped with no oil in it so I have to fill it, give it a good wash and find a surface to permanently screw it down to. Maybe by tomorrow evenings milking I'll have a report on how it works for you all.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:42:24 pm by Crofter »

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 10:39:08 am »
just a bit of advice....they work much better when the milk is blood temp. We're getting 500ml of cream from 5 lts of milk at the moment, but if yours is the same design as ours, you can adjust the thickness of the cream with the little rod thingy in the milk pan on top. I don't envy you the manual version tho, ours goes round awfully fast  :P

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:38:39 am »
http://novocreamseparators.com/blog/
Just found this USA site . less than $400. looks a good machine. the only problem would be the voltages , if you have a look at their links there is a demo on u-tube showing how it works.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:21:42 pm by tizaala »

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 08:25:11 am »
Ok, job done!
The seperator works very well. I filled it with oil and screwed it down firmly to a work surface. I washed all the components and re-assembled it, them put a litre of lukewarm water through it to warm it up as instructed.
Then I put the evenings milking (5 pints, warm) through it. Hey Presto! Skimmed milk and cream.
You are supposed to start it off gently, winding the handle up to speed, then open the tap to let the milk in. I thought the machine might be hard to wind but you are really only keeping up the momentum and it's no work at all to turn.
Skirza, it does have a "cream screw" but by your descrition it is not exactly the same design as yours. I have not messed with that bit yet, but with the factory settings got something about the thickness of single cream.
The instructions also say to put a litre of the skimmed milk back through at the end to wash out the last of the cream.
You can find them at www.merry-farm.com and based on this purchase I'd recommend them.
I notice that they are now on ebay, which I don't think they were when I ordered. At a glance, I think the prices and shipping are lower on their own website.

Hope this helps people!

Dave

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS