Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: De-tusking a boar  (Read 4456 times)

HappyHippy

De-tusking a boar
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:40 am »
Hi folks,
The time has come to trim Sydney's tusks (not that they are massive and he is a nice boar, but as a preventitive safety measure  ;))
I've found de-horning wire for bulls on Fearing's website and wondered if this is what others use ? If not, I'd be greatfull for pointers as to where I'll find the right stuff.
Thanks,
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: De-tusking a boar
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:03:14 am »
Hi HH
We used the fearings de-horning wire on our boars tusk that had gone curly and did it while he was asleep we wound each end of a length of wire round a pice of rod and then used it like a cheese wire sawing motion, he didn't feel a thing or bat an eyelid. I would only suggest doing this if your boar is very placid.
This was also covered on the GOS forum under 'welfare issues'.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »
Thanks Mandy  :-*

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:56 pm »
Good luck! Never mind de-tusking, I'm going to clip Horace, our mangalitza boar next week!

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »
Clip ? As in haircut ?
Ooo errrr - don't envy you there Cath  :-\
Is there a reason (heat etc) or is it just to make him look pretty  :love: :pig: :love:
Is it something that has to get done regularly ?
I'm just being nosey  ;) All of mine love a good brush, I'd imagine I could probably hand clip them while doing that........if I had to ! (Luckily I don't  ;))
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:52 pm »
All of mine love a good brush, I'd imagine I could probably hand clip them while doing that........if I had to !
mine would end up with just one short side - any chance of a good brush or tickle and they slide to the floor!  so the "underneath" side would never get clipped  :D
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:07:13 pm »
All of mine love a good brush, I'd imagine I could probably hand clip them while doing that........if I had to !
mine would end up with just one short side - any chance of a good brush or tickle and they slide to the floor!  so the "underneath" side would never get clipped  :D

Just tickle the other side  ;) ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:24:07 pm »
It's the heat. The other mangalitzas moult down to underlay in the summer but poor Horace has never got the hang of it. I'll try to post "before" and "after" photos. Doing his muddy underside could be interesting!
I've got an order placed for his wool from a hand-spinner too!

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
Really ? Wow.
I haven't actually touched any, so always imagined they would be fairly 'wirey' like other pigs (certainly couldn't imagine spinning Kune Kune   ::))
I'd LOVE to see photo's of Horrace pre and post haircut, and you should get David to video you doing it too  :D Lots of laughs for definate !
It'll be interesting to see how the spinner gets on and what they make from it....... keep me posted please.
Karen x

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:14:33 pm »

Just tickle the other side  ;) ;D ;D

well, normal pigs yes ... but our daft beggars have a "favourite" side! 

Actually, I thinks its probably us. 
I daren't tell you how long I sat in the goat pen this evening, forehead to forehead with Geraldine, while the baby girl (goat kid!)  lay across my knee, doing head massage to a milker....
Is it normal for goats to like a cuddle?!

::)  :D
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »
I used to cuddle my mother's goats when I was a child - not sure if all of them appreciated it though  :D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 11:35:48 am »
our girls do ... and ol' Cesar loves having his head rubbed around his horns!
We've made them daft, just like the rest of the household!   ;D
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 03:54:49 pm »

Is it normal for goats to like a cuddle?!

::)  :D
[/quote]

my kids do, they also like to sit on couch, with a blankie and watch tv....lol...then when they are old enough to jump on my computer ...they stay outside ...lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS