Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: meds worked...worms a plenty in poo...now what  (Read 1691 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
meds worked...worms a plenty in poo...now what
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:08:22 pm »
Injected our 4 pigs with ivermectin.  Now the worms are coming out in their poo.  I have been scooping it out of the pen as I see it.  Now what?

They live on cement.  Can I do more to prevent reinfestation?  Why did I never have this problem in previous years?  Or did I and not know it?

Also, I can't keep the chickens out of the poo.  Are they going to become infested too?

Thanks!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: meds worked...worms a plenty in poo...now what
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:12 am »
You need to thoroughly disinfect your cement, shut the pigs in while you do it, scrub thoroughly and let dry before letting them back out on it. The only way to keep on top of this is to worm your breeding stock every 6 months (in boar)or sows week before farrowing and inject weaners at 8 wks which should see them thro to killing. Strict hygiene will also help, regular poop scooping and regular disinfecting of yards (in winter which is the only time i house my pigs i clean down the yards once a week and poop scoop twice a day).
Can't answer why they've suddenly appeared ( other than they came with some pigs you bought in?) or your question about chickens. Somebodyelse may come along and answer that one.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
Re: meds worked...worms a plenty in poo...now what
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:06 pm »
Thanks for the advise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS