Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet Shop license to sell livestock?!  (Read 4671 times)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
Pet Shop license to sell livestock?!
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:05 pm »
I breed poultry, guinea pigs and rabbits, on a small scale, as a business sideline to my horticultural work.

I have been approached by the council saying I probably need a pet shop license.

How many of you guys and gals sell animals, and do any of you have a pet shop license?

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
Re: Pet Shop license to sell livestock?!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:18:40 pm »
found this on the govs website
"However, you don’t need a licence to sell:

pedigree animals that you’ve bred
animals that are offspring of your own pet"
so if there pedigree your fine, here is the link though https://www.gov.uk/pet-shop-licence

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »
Nothing is pedigree, and as it's business (in that I'm self-employed, and feed, etc, goes through the books for tax) I doubt any can be classed as 'pets'...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:24:30 pm »
I sell spiders, I've not got a license as I breed them, I used to breed and sell snakes without a license, but it's not really a business it's a byproduct of a hobby, or my pets and its small scale stuff

I'd guess if its a business you'd need the license, I'm expanding my breeding stock at the moment and am thinking of putting it through my company books and its something I've been pondering myself, it's more a welfare thing as far as I know, I've already got a 'dangerous wild animal license' and that's fairly onerous in proving everything's secure, mind I don't at present have anything that's on the schedule

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »
i use to sell poultry and pedigree rabbits. we bred to show and sold the surplus. my poultry was a business but the rabbits were a hobby.
is the pet shop license a bad thing? i dont know how much it costs but its there to promote animal welfare.
if you want to avoid it - breed pedigree and get down to the fur and feather shows twice a year.
poultry are farm animals - are they not? not pets.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:48:00 pm by shygirl »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:56:52 pm »
We also had a resident veterinary making bi weekly visits to ensure all was well and for me to teach the junior practice vets & others about the animals we produced etc. etc.. They used to pass me cases/ queries  where they didn't know how to sort it out .. some very amusing cases I can tell you .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS