Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HOME MADE RAT POISON  (Read 88977 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
HOME MADE RAT POISON
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:11:03 pm »
HAS anyone tried home made rat poison.......... ive found 2 recipies......... 1/ sugar, flour, baking soda............ 2/   sugar, rice, plaster of paris.......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: HOME MADE RAT POISON
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »
I'm test driving the first one meantime.  Used rolled oats not flour, and it's a dry mix, so added a squirt of rosehip syrup, but didn't stir it in. Had a look this morning and no sign of anything having sampled it.  I put it in two large lemonade bottles and wedged them horizontally beside a rat hole. Have kept the birds in their run today but it's in an area they don't normally frequent.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:17:18 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »
the squashing of the lungs is an old wives tale ;) it doesnt work

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »
ive found the best way is a bowl of poison in an old rabbit hutch,,, all shut up apart from a small rat hole in the side or back...that way any spillage etc stays out of harms way from other live stuff.... i have 2 of these and the rats are having a right go at the poison...working out a bit costly so looking for homemade. i used the commercial bait station tubes but found there is some splillage and movement of bait so my birds can get at it

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »
i can see the plaster of paris working

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »
Hi harry, I had the same problem of moving bait.  The people who were here before us left a lot of plaster of paris in the polytunnel, I assume for the recipe you are stating (I always wondered what it was for).  Would be interesting to know if anyone knows if it works, rat poison is so expensive.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:09 pm »
ive found the best way is a bowl of poison in an old rabbit hutch,,, all shut up apart from a small rat hole in the side or back...that way any spillage etc stays out of harms way from other live stuff.... i have 2 of these and the rats are having a right go at the poison...working out a bit costly so looking for homemade. i used the commercial bait station tubes but found there is some splillage and movement of bait so my birds can get at it

hence why most people in the industry use boxes and bait blocks instead of tubes and loose bait

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »
mix the plaster of paris with anything tiny and dry like sugar and flour, rice , the recipe says equall parts  ie 1 cup of each, anything dry as i assume as soon as it get wet it sets (when the rat drinks)... will try a mix in a saucer then add a drop of water . (thers no nice way to go for a rat) ive sat there for ages with a gun and got 1 or 2.... what did work was i got a cd of ebay of vermin calls foxes rabbits elk all sorts... one was of rats feeding, i got a personel cd player and mini speaker and it did work , they came out within minutes, one day i forgot it and they didnt come out till dark. you can download it on your i phone...... shooting takes forever
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:51:30 pm by harry »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 08:46:57 pm »
Yes, but the rats come out again full of poison and die - then cats can get a hold of them.  My Rio would catch the half dead ones and eat them.  That's why I want to try the baking powder stuff.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 01:01:19 pm »
get a terrier, much more fun!

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:06:56 pm »
Hi, we use rat traps, they are like giant mouse traps the ones you traditionally bait with cheese. We tie a piece of a rat poison block ( think they are called TomCat, the rats love them but they are very expensive to use as suggested ) actually onto the spike of the rat trap. The trap is then put under a wooden box with a hole just big enough for a rat to get in. We have two of these and when we have a rat problem they work great two rats most nights until they are all gone. The block is usually not eaten as the rat cannot get it off and as it tries it sets the trap off. You have the rats body and it has little or none of the poison. The rat blocks on the traps act like a magnet to the rats. We always handle the trap and bait with rubber gloves so there is no human smell.  Good luck

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 07:25:46 pm »
Gathered from and old ICI pamphlet I once had
Rats & mice like to have three surfaces incontact with their body at most times so making a Tee out 3 inch rain  of pipe work and inverting the open up right  then pouring the bait down it and covering it helps keep the bait in the trap  & helps the rodent feel comfortable and not threaened ..

those manufactured traps are just over £ 9.00 each plus VAT in out local feedstore place.

The pipe work Tee  is much less if you use a grey or black bathroom  waste water pipe set up and use a clip on T joint etc.

It suggested suggest three times 3 feet of pipe for each inverted " T " and fastening the up right to the wall & adding a cap to the top of the open pipe.

Re animals getting posioned from eating a dying rat... I used to use a product called Drattt ( had to sign the posions register for it  ..not sure if it is available nowadays to non registerd people).

I mixed it up in the cement mixer with three buckets of wheat   two of pin meal and one of crushed oats adding a half litre of veg oil and a 1/4 of a tin of coco powder .

The whole place was baited up as above with loads of the Tees , all discovered rat holes were also loaded up with a cup or two of it , then a piece of old ply or wriggly tin was placed ove the holes to keep our four cats and hazel the goldie off the stufff.

Because the holes were covered the rats ate , went back into their holes and died of hypothermia as a result of the Dratt.  The bait stations & holes were kept stocked for a further four months or so after I noticed that nothing was eating the bait .

I continued to follow the ICI advice of keeping baited Tees at strategic points around the farm where rats were likely to move along both inside and outside the buildings and fences.

In the unlikely event of an animal getting a dose of the posion  it reccommended a shot of vitamin K by a vet to counteract it.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Rat killer

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »
Easy method people
You will need bicarbonate of soda and flour
Fill a small bowl half way with a mixture of both,add water to mix and your done
Leave mixture where rats are known to frequent and watch the little sods disappear.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
Easy method people
You will need bicarbonate of soda and flour
Fill a small bowl half way with a mixture of both,add water to mix and your done
Leave mixture where rats are known to frequent and watch the little sods disappear.

so how does it kill them?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 08:37:13 pm »
Why was this thread resurrected after more than two years?  The idea of using plaster of Paris to kill any animal is horrible, especially when there are good quick methods such as traps.  Please let it slip back into the bowels of TAS.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS