Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fencing  (Read 2410 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Electric Fencing
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »
My 4 month old weaner's are kept in a solid pen with fencing, gate etc.. but from time to time I like to  let them into the rest of the field for some grass I have tried all fencing with all sorts of electric is it just because they are young? I have even tried putting fencing inside there pen with the electric on and they just trash it. Any other suggestions would be gladly received.

Re: Electric Fencing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:55:05 pm »
Hi,

Are you sure your fencing is working properly and gives a good "Kick"??  Is your energiser powerfull enough? Have you got a good earth? and is tall vegitation causing a power loss to earth??

We have always found that once the pigs get a zap or two they will stay well away from the electric line, from a very early age.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »
You need to make sure the electric fencing wires are at the right height: the bottom one needs to be low enough that the pig's nose touches it. If the pigs get a shock on their nose they move away, but a shock on the neck or back can make them bolt forwards through the fence.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »
If it's set up properly and working as it should leccy fencing is a very good way to contain pigs. Best to back it with a solid barrier at first if they're not trained to it but once they've had a couple of belts they respect it very well.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:25:56 pm »
Hi Barrett  :wave:

Agree with all of the above comments - what sort of fencing are you using?  I use the white "HORSE TAPE" for our Kunes - it's not as aestheically pleasing as some, but the pigs can see it better & keep away from it even if it's not on.  Our 3-week old litter have already learnt to respect it, but, 1 of our "rescues" will still push thro it - squeeling while she does it  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS