Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats milk yogurt help pls?  (Read 5292 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Goats milk yogurt help pls?
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:01:25 pm »
Surplus goats milk has led me to buy a yogurt maker.  I've currently got some 'starter culture' growing/happening so will be ready to make up my first batch of yogurt tomorrow.  Its mainly for the children so I was wondering if you have any tips for what I can add to it to make it appealing to little people aged between 4 and 9 please?  I used to make fromage frais and add chocolate to it which they loved  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Goats milk yogurt help pls?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »
I love it with soft dark brown sugar ... then swirl it in - looks pretty & tastes lovely!
Or runny honey - a big dollop looks like a fried egg!
Any sort of jam, or fruit syrup will sweeten it

good luck with it!
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »
Thanks Little Blue! I think INdia will be wanting honey (her best friend's called Honey May so everything has to have honey in or on these days  ::)  )
So I can just add jam? that sounds fairly fool proof (phew!) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:59 pm »
hoping to be in the same place shortly :)

i have a stick blender and just whizz up some soft fruits and berries and then push that through a sieve (my kids dont like 'bits') and stir it in - usually needs a wee bit sweetening as well.

banana is also good

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:14:19 pm »
So I can just add jam? that sounds fairly fool proof (phew!) 
yup - the husband puts a huge dollop of strawberry jam in, and beats it into a pink mess! :P
Little Blue

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »
how about maple syrup that is rather yummy in yogurt  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:42:39 pm »
hoping to be in the same place shortly :)

i have a stick blender and just whizz up some soft fruits and berries and then push that through a sieve (my kids dont like 'bits') and stir it in - usually needs a wee bit sweetening as well.

banana is also good

My mum used to make me yogurt as a child, and would just do the same with fruit as egglady. You can use sugar or sweetener add to the fruit. Blackcurrant, strawberry, raspberry, nectarine etc etc. Its just like a fruit yogurt from the supermarket.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:42:41 pm »
Just making my second batch today (using some of the fitst batch as starter) it looks thicker this time. I know goats milk yoghurt is said to be thinner and they suggest useing powdered goats milk with it to thicken it up but I really don't want to do that  8)
I will try adding sugar to fruit and purreeing a bit. INdia my 6 year old ate LOADS! that was just with jam in. but the others turned their noses up as it was too runny...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »
shop-bought yogurt can "spoil" them... its not like proper home-made, pure stuff! 
glad it turned out edible....  :)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 08:42:06 pm »
Try sultanas or raisins.  I often have some Greek yoghurt last thing at night with some mixed dried fruit.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS