Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of sheep  (Read 13793 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: Price of sheep
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:53 am »
The replies here are really helpful, thanks!  I am wondering now where might be the best place to buy some Shetlands.  We are in north Wales but I assume Scotland is the best place - any ideas??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 01:53:09 pm »
Would somebody please give me more info on 'cull ewes' : inc age etc etc

A cull is anything that is not wanted for breeding for example a very old ewe, one who has had mastitis, one who is a bad mother or any other reason for getting rid of one. They are bought by the meat boys in the market and usually go straight for slaughter as meat pies, kebabs etc etc...... :-\

Whereas a 'draft' is no longer required on her current farm but suitable for breeding elsewhere.  Up here, typically she's a 3- or 4-crop ewe from a hill farm and will probably be good for another crop or three somewhere less hard.  Some hill farms sell them as 2-crop, some may keep them on till 5.  Normally a vendor will stand by his draft ewes - if she is found to be unsound in teeth or udder you'll get your money back.  (Check them before leaving the mart if you can - the terms and conditions of the sale may stipulate that you must notify any problems before leaving.) 

Sometimes they are sold 'correct below', meaning the udder is sound but the teeth have gone.  If they are 'unwarranted' then they could well be ok above and below but the vendor will not stand behind them, so you would buy them at your own risk.

The other breed which would perform like the Shetland and may suit you would be Herdwicks.  They're native to the Lakes, so maybe you would be able to get some draft ewes a bit nearer home than Shetlands.

I don't know much about the Welsh native breeds, but wouldn't there be any Welsh hill sheep breeds that would suit morri2?  Some smallholding neighbours here have Llanwenogs and swear by them.  (Rather than at them, which would normally be true for Swaledales!   ;) ;D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 02:55:40 pm »
There are some very nice Black Welsh Mountain flocks in North Wales.  I am biased but I love them.  Good mothers and easy lambing.  They can be a little creative with fences though so any holes need finding - if not they will find them for you.  But beware not every black sheep you see in the market in Wales is a BWM whatever people may tell you. 

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 04:45:33 pm »
We have 3 breeds of welsh natives, llanwenog, Balwen and Hill Radnors. I'd go for the radnors everytime. They provide a good size carcass, they have a good lambing % are great mothers and the lambs are good doers. They are very docile too!
 To top all that with only 900 ewes they need all the help they can get.

Allison- Hill Radnor ;D
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:43 am »
but do you really want a flock of poor mums/sick ones/barren. Shetlands are cheap mainly because they are small and british butchers don't like small carcases. we have a ewe who is 7 and drops her twins each year. it maybe worth getting some older ewes and using them for a season ot two. it should be cheaper than buying young stock and they should be easier lambers as there previous owners would have got rid of the problem ones.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 09:22:12 am »
We have 3 breeds of welsh natives, llanwenog, Balwen and Hill Radnors. I'd go for the radnors everytime. They provide a good size carcass, they have a good lambing % are great mothers and the lambs are good doers. They are very docile too!
 To top all that with only 900 ewes they need all the help they can get.

Allison- Hill Radnor ;D

We have Llanwenog too, they are absolutely fab when crossed with a hampshire, a real butchers lamb produced, finished off grass. I can't praise these ewes enough they never seem to go lame.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 09:40:44 am »
Would somebody please give me more info on 'cull ewes' : inc age etc etc

A cull is anything that is not wanted for breeding for example a very old ewe, one who has had mastitis, one who is a bad mother or any other reason for getting rid of one. They are bought by the meat boys in the market and usually go straight for slaughter as meat pies, kebabs etc etc...... :-\

Thanks for reply woollyval, I know what a 'cull ewe' is, I was just wondering what the max age range is for one to enter the food chain? For example, old ewes of about 10 years?

SallyintNorth, very interesting info, thank you.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
The replies here are really helpful, thanks!  I am wondering now where might be the best place to buy some Shetlands.  We are in north Wales but I assume Scotland is the best place - any ideas??

I know a chap who might be able to help. He is QUITE a character. Will PM you his details.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 09:55:44 am »
Thanks for reply woollyval, I know what a 'cull ewe' is, I was just wondering what the max age range is for one to enter the food chain? For example, old ewes of about 10 years?

I don't think there's any maximum age with sheep.  It's not like cattle where they have to be under 30 months to enter the human food chain.

The kebab-and-curry folks seem to be able to find a use for any ovine with any flesh on it - one told us once that a well-fleshed ewe will render about £3000-worth of kebabs!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 01:29:16 pm »
eeeeeewwwwwwwww :o thats the last time I eat a Kebab!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
The really skin and bone types that have no fat on are rendered down and used in baby food (lamb dinners in jars).

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

princesspiggy

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 12:02:49 am »
i can recommend u a good breeder on shetland if u want?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 09:00:21 am »
Thanks for the offer Princesspiggy.  If the guy recommended to me by VSS hasn't got anything I'll let you know.  At the moment we are still waiting for the ' desperate to rent his land' farmer to get in touch to tell us its all on and we can get some stock in.  Beginning to wonder whether he's changed his mind. ??? ::)

princesspiggy

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »
try mary isbister, on shetland, she sells shetland sheep, we got our shetland cattle from her and they were superb so id def recommend her. they will send them to aberdeen for u. so that makes things alot easier for you.

www.burlandcrofttrail.co.uk

:wave: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS