Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Its all in the timing  (Read 1621 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Its all in the timing
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:33:15 pm »
We have 3 x 7mth gilts who were due to go off on their 'Final Trip' next Monday. Everything was going hunky dory and I was gearing myself up for the slap marking adventure this week (hopefully less novice like than last year's effort!)

However.... on Sunday pm one of the gilts was decidedly off colour, not interested in food, but still drinking, peeing and pooing, but just off and lethargic. Thought it might be a bit of heatstroke (Sun was very hot and sunny down here). No blotches on the skin

Next day she was still off her food, but still drinking, peeing and pooing, still no blotches and all she wanted to do was lie down and sleep. In the afternoon I took her temp which was about 40, so rang the vet and one came out today. Unfortunately I had to work when the vet came and OH was in attendance - but he didn't make a note of what the vet said it was and I've been left a couple of anti-biotic injections (don't know what type) to give tomorrow am and Thurs am.

I will call the vet in the morning to give them an update with any change in pig's state - apparently the vet said we should see a marked change in 24 hours. I will then be able to ask what he thinks it is. Oh yes and I have no idea what we are going to be charged so not looking forward to the post!

So now I am having to postpone the slaughter date for all 3 - can't really take the other two off and leave her alone.

Major pain in the butt and dent in the bank  >:(

Tish

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Its all in the timing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:50:16 am »
What a pain, just a thought but you'll have to check the withdrawal time for slaughter re the antibiotics its usually 28 days but can be longer.
Hope she's on the mend.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:28 pm »
Hi Tish, what a pain, I personally would send the others off, if she poorly she not going to worry who there and who not there, if one of mine is ill I will always take it out of the group as they do tend to be a bit mean, if on it's own it won't have to fight for food or water.  I had a 3/4 month old recently who looked a bit pushed out not getting it's quoter of food etc.. so took it out with another small one just to build it up a bit, all going well then one morning he wouldn't get up and come the evening he was dead as quick as that, completely threw me, normally pigs will not eat anything that is piousness to them though I think little Clyde did eat something in the paddock, pleased to say the other small one Bonnie is back with the others and doing great.  Hope Piggy OK.  I had a run of bad luck in one week lost 2 pigs and 5 piglets now on first name terms with all Vets and Knackerman, not opening post at the moment :o

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »
Well the good news is all 3 pigs came out this morning responding to the food bucket  ;D ;D The sick pig was so much more together and interested in life in general so major sighs of relief all round  ;D ;D I had spent some of yesterday evening in the ark with her head in my lap trying to get bits of juicy apple and honey water into her - very difficult when a pig doesn't want it but I did have some success  :D

I spoke to the vet with the news and he basically said his top suspicion was erysipelas which he thinks is more likely now that she has responded so well to penicillin (one of the 3 jabs yesterday). The injections she got were metacam, long acting penicillin and marbisil (of which I have to give 2 more injections). The relevant withdrawal period is 10 days for the penicillin (the other 2 drugs have shorter WD times). So we've put the slaughter date back to give a good gap after the withdrawal date has cleared - fingers crossed all goes well from now  ::)

Barrett - sorry to hear about your bad run of luck  :( , we only have 3 fattening pigs this time and our setup isn't really sorted to separate off the pigs. When one of the pigs got toothache earlier this year I did feed her separately otherwise she would never have got any food she was taking so long to eat!

Thanks for your support  ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS