Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drop in fertility  (Read 5654 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Drop in fertility
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 11:07:00 pm »
Once she's in-pig, she'll not come back into season and if she doesn't come into season she won't stand for him.
HTH
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:50:04 am »
This is what I don't understand,I am doing nothing differently to what I usually do. The 3 boars all have their own ladies so no competition there. The sows get swapped around after farrowing.
They are all on a 16% protein feed that is grains ,molasses etc mixed by a local grain merchant and been using that for about 2 years.
The girls are all healthy and no weight problems. I don't increase the feed prior to season but never have. I don't feed them parsnips or citrus. I plant up pens as they become empty with a stubble turnip and forage rape mix and they go in there when its ready.
I have cut their feed down slightly because the only thing I could think of was weight but I really don't think it is as it seems to be all of them.
Hopefully it is just the weather because I couldn't eat all that pork ;)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 01:07:00 am »
I plant up pens as they become empty with a stubble turnip and forage rape mix and they go in there when its ready.

I was going to ask are you running them on clover-rich pasture (clover contains oestrogen, acts like a contraceptive pill, apparently!) but clearly you are not.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 09:19:57 pm »
no eggs are different you Carnot feed eggs to pigs but you can feed pancake mixture as the egg content is smaller than the rest of the ingredients :farmer: :pig:

so u could get ur own eggs, own milk, add flour and mix it in ur own feed room and thats fine? but then u need a license to mix the feeds? or u cud layer it in a bucket?

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »
well princess if you make pancakes in a feed room that is up to you  :o
your good point should be raised with defra or your local enviromental health/trading standards :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS