Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping pig  (Read 7835 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
Limping pig
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:52 am »
Hi

One of my GOS (who is about 15wks old) had a cut just below her front knee on Friday - I cleaned it - it did not seem deep and all seemed okay. She let me wipe it down lent against me whilst I did it .. trotted off seemed happy.

Then on Sunday morning she was limping intermittently and now is limping. She can bend it and I have felt for any obvious lumps or bumps but now instead of letting me help her it must be more painful as she does not want me to touch it as she moves off when I gently squeeze it and check it -  but cant see anything on her knee or her foot. It does not feel swollen (although looks it a bit but I dont know if I am imagining it) it is not hot and she is eating fine.

She is not walking about as much and when she lays down has difficulty standing up as does not want to put weight on her front right leg.

I have moved her out of the main throng so that she has some peace for a couple of days. As she is in with other young pigs and a year old Managlitza gilt who is stroppy at food times with the little ones but otherwise fine - although whilst she has been in season she has tossed one of them so it's possible she may have done this with the GOS too.

Any advice appreciated please.

Thanks
Amanda

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Limping pig
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:13:32 pm »
Is her temperature normal? Is she eating normally? I'd give her a shot of penicillin and if that doesn't settle it I'd speak to your vet.

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »
do u guys all keep penicillin at home? if so where do u get it from and what is the dose. (and being really thick) - is it an antibiotic?

gem

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:53:19 pm »
yes its an antibiotic, im in ireland so it mihght be different here but i get it from my farm vet or chemist, your supposed to have a prescription here from your vet but they know me at my local chemist and give me whatever meds i need

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:26:06 am »

Another vote for a shot of antibiotics here, too.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:01:32 am »
I keep a multidose vial of Ultrapen, a long acting penicillin, at home. It will cover most of the common pig infections and because it's long acting you usually only need to give one injection: helpful when you're dealing with an unco-operative patient!
I get it from my vets. If you're not confident giving injections to stock I would recommend getting some training, formal or informal, from someone experienced. I'm a doctor, an anaesthetist in fact, so I inject people for a living, but most of my patients who weigh as much as my adult pigs can't move as fast!
You can buy appropriate sized syringes and needles from farm supply shops.

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »
Just checked my messages sorry for not replying sooner - as did not get any posts back straight away thought I was worrying too much...

Thank you all very much for your advice.

I do inject wormer but am new to it but it has gone okay so far.. but have not got penicillin - she is worse now as in not putting her food down but temperature is okay and she is still eating really well but not happy about her foot.

So do you think she has an infection then - there are no obvious signs of swelling and I cant even see the cut she had on her leg so that must have healed okay or would it not be swollen??

I will get penicillin and give her a shot today. Will it have the guidelines of what amount to give / weight ratio with it?

Thank you again much appreciated.
Amanda

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »
If the foot doesn't feel hot, isn't swollen and she doesn't have a temperature then it's unlikely to be infection, especially if she's well in herself. Maybe she twisted her foot and tore some ligaments when she did whatever gave her the cut originally? Have you checked she hasn't got a nail, thorn or other small sharp object in her foot?
I'd have a word with your vet. I don't know what painkillers you can give to pigs. If she was mine I'd probably still give her a shot of penicillin just in case it's a deep infection. The bottle or packaging will have the dose/weight on it.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:25 pm »
I would be giving an antibiotic PLUS an anti-inflammatory (eg. Metacam/Meloxicam) to relieve some of the pain. You'll have to get this through your vet. Good luck and hope she's on the mend soon.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:54:19 am »

Thanks so much again for all  your advice.

Rang vet yesterday -  he is coming out today at 3.30.

Pig still limping - but temp still okay and eating loads - so we shall see.

Will let you know how it goes. Just want the poor thing to be able to run about and have fun with the others as she loves a good giddy run around and push about with the football!

Thanks again
Amanda

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS