Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs & fresh fish ?  (Read 14229 times)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
Pigs & fresh fish ?
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:27:34 pm »
Is it OK to feed pigs fresh fish ?  I know scraps aren't allowed (what a crazy rule) but what about surplus fish ?

The local name for it is "pukey" and it's so abundant that you can't help but catch some whenever you're fishing.  I thought if the pigs would eat it, what a good source of protein for them.  It's way too bland for humans, and we're fishing for mackerel.

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Pigs & fresh fish ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:49:06 pm »
Is it OK to feed pigs fresh fish ?  I know scraps aren't allowed (what a crazy rule) but what about surplus fish ?

The local name for it is "pukey" and it's so abundant that you can't help but catch some whenever you're fishing.  I thought if the pigs would eat it, what a good source of protein for them.  It's way too bland for humans, and we're fishing for mackerel.

Under EU law, Article 6 1(a) or (b) Regulation 1774/2002 "raw fish" can not be feed to pigs, so its a NO!
All came about with the banning of swill feed to pigs.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that the case. :wave: :wave:

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:34:14 pm »
How very strange - but thank you for the answer, Stevie G.

I can understand "processed" raw fish and swill which can contain all sorts of dangerous things, but fresh fish from the sea ?!!!

I thought we were supposed to be protecting against swine fever and the like.  But maybe it's because most fish is factory farmed now.  They've probably never heard of wild fish from the Atlantic  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:24:33 pm »
Can you legally feed cooked fish from a tin e.g. sardines or tuna?

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:57:57 pm »
i thot u cud feed fishmeal to pigs aslong as u can store it safely?

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »
Here's the text which relates to what Stevie G said about raw fish
WHAT IS MEANT BY RAW MEAT AND RAW FISH?
(8) We consider that raw meat and raw fish falls into Article 6. 1(a) or (b) of
Regulation (EC) No 1774/2002, even if, for example, it is coated in a sauce, or
cured as in bacon, as the meat is still raw.
(9) Raw meat and fish includes the following:
a) Raw meat and raw fish that needs to be cooked before eating;
b) Raw sausages;
c) Raw bacon and gammon;
d) Raw meat, poultry, fish and seafood in packs or loose;
e) Raw meat, poultry, fish or seafood items in coating (such as breadcrumbs
or batter) or sauces (such as barbeque, garlic etc.);
f) Raw burgers.

And here's a link to the whole regulation http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/byproducts/documents/ffguidance1774-2002.pdf

It's really important that all of us are making sure we keep up to date with what is and isn't allowed :-\
I think because of the campaigning with the SPKA to get pig classes back one of the main obsticles we're facing is the fear of disease from all the 'commercial' guys who feel we (smallholders/hobby farmers/small scale keepers - whatever we're called  ;D) don't do things properly ie. with regard to feeding and disease control. It's the same rules for everyone - whether you've one pig or one hundred - please make sure you're up to speed with all the regulations (for your own sake ;))
HTH
Karen x

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »
Ah - that's brilliant, thanks.  This regulation applies to animal byproducts not for human consumption.

I'll read it through again more thoroughly, but as I thought, it doesn't apply to fish that is fresh caught and for human consumption (if you like saithe !).

I know when we kept food for our seaducks that contained fishmeal, it had to be kept in a separate feed store from our poultry, sheep and horse feeds - and we had to be inspected too. 

Don't worry Karen, I'll make sure I'm within the law, as ever, although I often protest !

Jane - Isle of Islay where the fishing is good !

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
yes it does. meat of any kind is banned. unless it flies in and you only find the odd chicken feather afterwards. now what about earth worms and slugs. both are meat you could even say a slug is close to a shell fish.

buy a smoker don't waste good fish on a pig. it makes nice fish pies and cakes.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:16:09 am »
One of the perceived problems with outside-reared pigs is their access to "free range" meat over which DEFRA has (shock,horror) No Control! Our pigs have eaten wild animals which have got into their pens (myxy rabbits and wounded/dead pheasants, mostly) but I wouldn't tell Animal Health! I'd be worried that outside pig-keeping would be banned!
I have to support Happy Hippy in this: I too think the regulations on what you can feed are daft: an over-reaction to BSE & the last FMD outbreak - BUT - they are the law! If I was a farmer who'd lost their livelihood to Foot & Mouth Disease I'd take a dim view of people who felt the regulations didn't apply to them. Pigs scavenging local wildlife that gets in their pen is one thing. Deliberately feeding our pigs forbidden foods is another,
Go on, try the smoker!

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:42:18 pm »
The smoker is too busy smoking mackerel  ;D

Don't worry guys - if it's contaminated with BSE then obviously we won't be feeding it.  I shall be checking with the authorities first thing tomorrow  ;D

You're all just jealous of our lifestyle  :P  Honestly, I'm a very law-abiding person  8)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 01:57:44 pm »
yes it does. meat of any kind is banned. unless it flies in and you only find the odd chicken feather afterwards. now what about earth worms and slugs. both are meat you could even say a slug is close to a shell fish.

buy a smoker don't waste good fish on a pig. it makes nice fish pies and cakes.

Iam with paul, meat of any kind or its by-products can not be feed to pigs. The earth worm and slug are already there and its not really practicle to dig each and everyone up with a shovel, unless of course you have nothing better to do. ::)
I also agree that its a waste of good fish aswell and there are better options. :wave: :wave:

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:06:23 pm »
Foot & mouth is still vivid in my head from more than 10 years ago. Rules are somewhat arsey at times I know but certain rules are there for damn good reason.

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »
Just curious but what are these good reasons for the rule about meat fed to pigs?

I too obey the rules and I really don't wish to belittle f&m but I was under the impression pigs had evolved, along with chickens, to be omnivores.  I don't remember where i saw it but I think i remember seeing a report that the EU were considering relaxing the rules to allow some form of meat to be used in dried pig feed.

It seems to me that with the massive food price rises recently, along with the continued growth in the world population, the already underfed millions and the Chinese and Indian growing middle class's demand for meat  waste from some animals will be reintroduced eventually.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »
at the present moment brittain is free from foot and mouth            we are in a global economie there for we are open to imports from foot and mouth hot spots            meat is the most common  source of foot and mouth there for you try to avoid feeding this to pigs
yes there is rumblings of the food waste being fed back to pigs and meat and bone meal being feed to cattle  but in strict controled enviroments
now if you are warming to this idea of a zero waste policy  go to the far east whare they have pigs in the basement of the hotels eating the waste food and human shite from the toilets       if that appeals to you just you get wired in there :( :pig: :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »
I think your last reply is somewhat repulsive and not the point.

The reason pig feed/swill is contaminated with F&M is that it is not heated properly. I am not sure if allowing meat by-products into pig feed is a good idea, as it is the farmers - both big and small, who will have to deal with F&M, and not really the feed producers (who will try and cut corners at any opportunity).... (or the government ministers, but that's a totally different rant).

But I wouldn't really feed fish to pigs in any great quantitiy - doesn't the meat get a fishy taint? Like tainted eggs and fishmeal in chicken pellets?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS