Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wild boar?  (Read 2968 times)

gem

wild boar?
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:59:02 pm »
are they a viable enterprise?
ive heard a lot of rumours and hearsay about farming them

is it true the abbatoirs will not take them?

is it true you do not need to register them with the dept
as they are considered wild animals not livestock?

does anyone know what regulations are in place from slaughter-fork? do i have to bring them to a game dealer?

can i have a dept vet declare their carcass suitable for sale to butchers etc? and if so how much will that cost me?

the way im contemplateing doing this is keeping 1x sow and put her in pig to a wild boar belonging to another farm, and castrateing all male bonniffes born, keeping them in a secure zoo style compound with stone wall and electric fence, feeding area with 2 gates for safety reasons

(keep in mind im in the republic of ireland)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: wild boar?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:00:07 am »
For abattoirs, check with yours whether or not they will take them before you get your boar.  There have been some nasty accidents with wild boar so some abattoirs will no longer take them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:21:26 am »
My only experience of wild boar is when they hang around to mate with the pigs, most usually female for the boar or when the hunt chase them.  They are very nervous, and will attack if threatened.  If you consider this do be very careful about your own safety.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:27:49 am »
wild boar  if you have not keeped pigs before  dont start with wild boar
the viability is down to you
abbatoirs mostly refuse them for danger to there operators and if they escape
if you dont have to register them with the dept you certainly have to register them as wild animals have the appropriate licence and have approved escape proof enclosures
the same regulations as for any meat animal and more
ask the state vet and anything you ask get the answer in writing   costs can and do vary
your system     you are just playing at it  is that a wild boar sow or a domesticated one   a true wild boar only has one litter a year and a max of six pigglets and they dont grow as quick as domesticated pigs :farmer:

gem

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 10:41:46 am »
in ireland there are no regulations for keeping wild animals (I could keep a pet croc/lion/kangaroo/camel because the only law in place relates to zoos)

im only in the thinking stage at the moment, im looking into suitable walled enclosures and the cost of building them first and foremost, im also looking into building a crush for treating the wild boar, and was considering just keeping 1-2 wild boar sow for breeding.and their litters kept back until slaughter
the main enclosure would be about 4acres, my own safety and the safety of the public are at the top of my list, ive kept tamworths and saddlebacks, im also looking into iron age pigs (tamworthxwild boar)

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:16 am »
iron age pigs are the better way to go   although you will have to cross the wild boar with tamworth   they are easeir to handle for some reason and not so agressive :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS