Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A farmer's lie for me... :(  (Read 7302 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
A farmer's lie for me... :(
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »
Well I said I would report back...

The Jimmy's Farm products look good, all well packed and attractive to look at.  They arrived before 2pm on the due day, which I thought was impressive coming from Essex.

I'll post again when I've tried some of them.

Sadly, none of the Journeyman's products I ordered were included, despite the email they sent me confirming that the whole order had been dispatched.   Of course they will credit my card with the value of these products, but I am really quite deflated.  I wish now I had thought that there may be availability issues and put a note with the order to say that they should not ship until the Journeyman's products were available.  Hindsight, eh.   ::)

Oh well, one lives and learns.  And the meats I have got do look good - I just wouldn't have ordered from Essex had it not been for wanting to support fellow northerners (and fellow career-shift-to-farming) Ray & Jayne!

Hey ho.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

Re: A farmer's lie for me... :(
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »
I wonder if the products from Journeyman's farm do not meet up with demand and quality, a hard task to go world wide after just starting, I am no farmer but it must take a few years to get things like that going, starting with the local market etc.
Hope they do well as it may well be a leg up to failure!!!!  Well at least they had their five min of fame and they look lovely people...really, really really hope they do well!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:58:39 pm »
Thanks for the update post SallyintNorth.

'Jimmy's Farm' was local to me so I've been there and bought the sausages (and other expensive stuff). Over priced and over rated. Never went back.

So: no product by the tv show winners enclosed? Surprise surprise. Refunded? Well, that won't go towards their upcoming rent. If that's the way of it they will dissappear for sure - but was there really any doubt about that?

The whole thing keeps on proving itself to be rubbish in every way.   ::)

PS: I see you've titled this thread 'A Farmers Lie for Me' So appropriate!   :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:01:58 pm by OhLaLa »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 07:02:11 pm »
PS: I see you've titled this thread 'A Farmers Lie for Me' So appropriate!   :D

It was actually a typo but I couldn't resist the pun!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »
not surprised to be honest, I'd be surprised if they had got it all set up in such a short time scale when in reality it takes a while.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »
Sorry, what's Journeyman's products?

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »
the winners of the programme came up with journeysmans products as their trade name, but it seems they have not set up properly yet.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 06:14:25 am »
Weren't they mutton burgers or something?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:43:28 am »
Weren't they mutton burgers or something?
They did mutton burgers one week on the show, yes.
They also did a base sauce for spaghetti etc.

The products I ordered which were not available on the day were mutton sausages and marinaded mutton pieces.

Their section in Jimmy's online shop is here http://www.jimmysfarm.com/shop/index.cfm/fa/shop/Category_ID/32

Their own website is http://www.journeymans.co/

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56:00 pm »
£4.80 for 5 sausages, thot that was steep, what do u guys charge?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:59:10 pm »
we are selling for  £2 per packet (about 350-400g)
Mx

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 09:33:57 pm »
Been giving it all some thought and it was purly a TV show with no care for what the concequence was really, of course it would be great to follow up but for the programme it was all for the moment!! I know all of you would be suprised to see some one make money so quickly from smallholdings!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 11:49:43 pm »
£4.80 for 5 sausages, thot that was steep, what do u guys charge?

I think when we're selling half a pig then the prices will be lower, yes. 

The sausages and burgers were on a par with what I would pay for free range rare breed per pack at my local farmers' markets.  In fact the chilli beef burgers were about the same as my butcher charges for the same product - and having eaten 2 of them last night I can tell you they knock my local butcher's ones into a cocked hat!

But I wouldn't buy all my meat at these prices - it was just nice to get a small selection of really nice free range rare breed stuff for an interesting change.  Same as I would at my local farmers' market.

I'm still ticked off that they didn't have the 'Journeymans' products though - I wouldn't have ordered any of it all the way from Essex but for wanting to support my fellow northerners!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS