Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick pig  (Read 9831 times)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: sick pig
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »
Update:

Sick pig responding well to penicillin.  Another one has the spots and is off food.  Hubby and I gave all 4 in the pen a shot.  (What a cluster!  Should of had that in film.)  We will give another tomorrow morning.

I hope it doesn't present in the two gilts across the barn in another pen.

Why no breeding after infection?

As long as your gilts are not too close to the others they should have a problem and if they do then don't delay and treat with penicillin.
And as to mating them after you have treated them, as long as treatment has been carried out quickly then breeding from them should not be a problem.
Any concerns, then just treat them as well.
Vaccination usually takes time to work, so if you vaccinated the gilts now it may not have time to work and as HH has said, you need to vaccinated again a month later.
Good Luck and hope they get well soon. :wave: :wave:

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 03:42:33 pm »
4 good looking healthy pigs in one pen and 2 good gilts across the barn.

I hope this is the end of the "E" word!

Praise be to God and penicillin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help UK guys!!!!

(My Pennsylvania friends laugh when I tell them I get some of my best advise from the UK.  They think I'm silly  and the fact that I have "penpals" just confirms it.)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
Cheap and effective(penicillin that is!).
What would we do without it.
Please all ended well. :wave:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 12:06:13 am »
But it could be avoided if people vaccinated. Also, erysipelas can live in the soil, in dead animal tissue, etc, for a long time. Don't try and save pennies by not vaccinating. It's cheap to do, and if you've had a problem (and a very close shave, by the sound of it), the alarm bells should be ringing.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS