Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune question...  (Read 3426 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Kune Kune question...
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:39 pm »
....HappyHippy?!   :wave:

Our kune kune piglets are now 8 months old.  They are being raised for meat (sorry pig-fans!) and although I appreciate kunes are slow growing, they seemed to have just, well, stopped growing!

Well no, they haven't really. just that they seem to have gone "leggy" with proper little tummies (plenty of the good life!)
but no great size to them, or chunky thighs!

Do kunes have a lanky teenage stage, like dogs & cats when they are just disproportionately tall with not much meat on them?!

I dont recall their mums /aunty looking like this, though its funny how you remember stuff sometimes (or not) ...

???     :pig:     ::)     ???     :pig:     ::)   
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Kune Kune question...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »
Hiya LB, Karen will probably pop on here soon.

In my experience, most Kunes stay fat & round" usually growing in proportion until they have finished by the age of 12-14 months, though I do believe they can mature up to the age of 2.  One of my Rebecca Gina gilts was a bit leggy until she was 10-months old.  You can probably say that at 6-months they have grown to 2/3 of their finishing size. 

Saying that, we have got one Kereopa gilt at the moment who has been quite leggy (almost dainty for a Kune) since she was 6-months old (she is now 8-months old) - there's always 1  ::)

Maybe some lines are prone to a lanky teenage stage - lucky they don't get the accompanying acne  ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:53 pm »
not sure I can wait 14 months ... might have to lop off a leg before then!!  :P   :D  :D
the girls are beautiful, can see the hams on them ;)  (the mums I mean) but they are def not for the table....

blimey, pigs with acne?  they've got the teenage grunting down to a tee - one them is called "Grump" cos she's always complaining!  I'm sure there's an x-box in the back of the shed, for how sleepy they are in the day time...

;D
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »
Hiya Ruth  :wave:

One of my gilts did the same thing - took a stretch upwards and it took a wee while for the 'outwards' growth to catch up  ;) I think that probably was around the 7-8 month age. She's 10 months old now and looks so good it's definately that time - just need to find time to take her now  ::) ;D
If they're due worming in the next few weeks I'd be tempted to bring it forward and see if that makes any difference, but have patience and they'll come good soon.
HTH
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:18:50 am »
if you are looking for pork to fill a gap just pm me ;) ;) cant have pigs with wooden legs :farmer:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »
thanks Karen, thats reassured me abit! 
Kind of had in my head that they'd be ready "in the summer" but looks like being a bit longer.... :D

thanks Robert, if my o/h catches me outside with a carving knife, he has strict instructions to get on here and message you! 
Little Blue

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:40:15 pm »
if you are looking for pork to fill a gap just pm me ;) ;) cant have pigs with wooden legs :farmer:
thanks Karen, thats reassured me abit! 
Kind of had in my head that they'd be ready "in the summer" but looks like being a bit longer.... :D

thanks Robert, if my o/h catches me outside with a carving knife, he has strict instructions to get on here and message you! 

if you need any in the mean time let me know...... do a trade with you ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:52 pm »
thanks Mandy, will do.
what might you be after trading?

.....Now stop it all of you, you're making me hungry! ;D 
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 03:49:20 pm »
Little Blue, you will have to come and look at our two girls and see if they are any different in size (although you are not having those two for eating, mind!)  The ginger one seems a lot longer and taller than the other, who is smaller and appears a rounder shape.  They both have large bottoms though!!

Obviously being sisters to yours they should be a similar size at this stage?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
that'd show which one of us spoils them the most!!  :D
It'd be nice, thanks.  And I promise not to nibble them! ;)

our girls (ie the mums) are actually quite different builds, perhaps I'm over - concerned....
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:05 am »
spoil them?!!  Well, I do get in the pen most days and give them a good scratch and talk to them.  I think Rick is more for giving them treats - he rescues stuff people at work leave - apples, bread etc.  Oh, I pick them a big pile of grass every afternoon cos they have eaten all in their pen!!!

Yes, you must come and visit .....plenty of animals to look at.  And best of all, we do not charge at our mad house ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
  :D     :D 
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS