Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GM Feed  (Read 10400 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: GM Feed
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 12:13:30 pm »
Marriages feed is good, but not cheap and we can't source it locally. We have some friends who mix their own feed - if you're interested pm me and I'll give you their contact details

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 12:48:37 pm »
I'd contacted Marriages a couple of weeks ago for prices, they were coming in around £380 per tonne, delivered. I didn't think that was much more expensive than the Carrs Billington stuff (I'm sure when I priced it, it worked out around £9 a bag) - it's around the same as Harbro and Farmgate stuff. The only problem was the 2 week lead time - I'm not always that organised & love the fact that East Coast Viners in Stonehaven can get it to me next day or the day after usually  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 02:27:27 pm »
We buy Argo sow & weaner (25kg-£7.35) direct from them in penistone,Barnsley.

Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:59:59 pm »
we buy local here in Cheshire its £7.35 also
& gm free
talked to the manager he said there no shotage of grain put
due to bankers buying grain in bulk holding onto it to force the price up

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 10:08:09 pm »
the majority of soya comes from either north america or south  america  and is not gm free :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:26:26 pm »
Some GM free feeds use European soya which is still, thankfully, GM free.

The "green" credentials of feeds containing soya from across the Atlantic must be questionable even if they are GM free or organic. It's difficult to know what to do for the best.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:29:09 pm by Rosemary »

Bioman

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 11:46:19 pm »
You can't guarantee any food is absolute 100% GM free, due to cross pollination. So no matter how much GM free food you buy statistically can't be GM free.  If you read closely on a lot of feed labels it will say "cannot guarantee GM free"

Also surely having some GM food is better than having cereal or soya from 1000's of miles away with massive CO2 emissions from Canada or South America etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 11:34:57 am »
Marriages feed is good, but not cheap and we can't source it locally. We have some friends who mix their own feed - if you're interested pm me and I'll give you their contact details

I've sent you a PM, TD - now there's not just me but also a chap who's buying two of my weaners interested in (a) non-GM (me, for a customer for pork) and (b) incorporating available feedstuffs into the diet (him - they have crop surpluses he'd like to use up and I am very keen he gets it right for the sake of 'my babies' and also so that he gets great pork and bacon and comes back for some more weaners next year!)

Cheers, Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »
You can't guarantee any food is absolute 100% GM free, due to cross pollination. So no matter how much GM free food you buy statistically can't be GM free.  If you read closely on a lot of feed labels it will say "cannot guarantee GM free"

Also surely having some GM food is better than having cereal or soya from 1000's of miles away with massive CO2 emissions from Canada or South America etc.

Surely you can if the whole country is GM free?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is no GM. Once that genie's out of the bottle there's no going back. Maybe the smart boys in the backroom need to find a way of avoiding both GM and imports from 1000s of miles away.

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »
that will be back to animal derived protein  they are just waiting for the opportunity to reintroduce it :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 03:22:55 pm »
As Robert says, already being talked about re-introducing animal protein, albeit very carefully controlled, inter species (eg only chicken to pigs), and only from approved manufacturers.

Now being called "Co-Pro - Short for Co-Product Protein, a feedstuff for pigs made from pasteurised poultry protein and soon to be introduced under European Union law, formerly known as meat-and-bonemeal." - Quote from NPA website
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »
Surely you can if the whole country is GM free?
I think I need briefing on where the UK is on all of this.  Googling I get lots of stuff about Wales declaring itself GM-free but not all regions in Scotland nor England - but does this declaration mean no GM to be imported or only no GMOs to be grown?

I thought I knew that there had been field trials in England? 

My opinion, for what it's worth, is no GM. Once that genie's out of the bottle there's no going back. Maybe the smart boys in the backroom need to find a way of avoiding both GM and imports from 1000s of miles away.

I have used the 'genie out the bottle' simile myself - but I think it's out already.  :(

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 07:08:30 pm »
we dont  stand a chance the pigs are  kept humanely fed gm feeds and imported with a Scottish flag on the box i no a farmer who has there farm on the meat boxes and import from Europe and sold att farm markets .i went to 1 last week i looked att the spuds they had peat mixt inn the cabages were white underneath to much fertilizer .the chickin feed iss 4 euros laying pellets corn 5 euros we need to get a grip and let us feed gm and stop imports and look after our own folk .most hens are kept humanely in square  cage system  and hens  are fed gm who checks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:13:56 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:49 am »
I have struggled with this GM thing for a long while, originally i used High peak feeds which was GM free but their mill was at the time in organic conversion, when they went completely organic i couldn't afford to use them and had to look round for a new supplier, in the end i bit the bullet and i do use feed that has GM soya, it is increasingly difficult to find a supply that doesn't use it as all imported soya is GM, the organic makers clean up any non-gm. In the end i opted for Thompsons of York who are relatively local to me, read their ingredients list and their website, most of their straights are grown locally and they had the least GM content that i could see, i currently pay £299 tonne pallet(40bags) delivered. They deliver to as far down as Derbyshire and Notts and upto the borders i believe. Service is excellent, order on a monday and you'll have it by friday, i also have a bad back as many of you know and on my last delivery came home to find the driver had stacked all the bags in my feed store for me,  :thumbsup:now thats service above & beyond. their tel 01904488388.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS