Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GM Feed  (Read 10394 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
GM Feed
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:56 am »
How do you feel about giving GM feed to the pigs?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: GM Feed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:02:49 pm »
I really wish I didn't have to, but with just one pig and a busy farm to run I haven't worked out how not to.

Maybe if we get a litter and rear a few and it all goes well I will have a look into sourcing ingredients and making up my own rations.  Probably someone will tell me this constitutes mixing and I will need a license...  Which brings me back to my first answer.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:31:27 pm »
The Farmgate feed is GM Free which is a reason for me not to change.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »
I use Farmgate for that reason for hens, sheep and cattle BUT I am concerned that the ingredients may be sourced from places like South America.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »
Both Dodson & Horrell and Allen & Page make GM free pig feed - a little pricey, but if you've only got a few & concerned about what's in their feed.  Allen & Page also make the Pot Bellie/Kune Kune mix too  ;)
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:45:49 pm »
Dodson & Horrell's pig food is GM free, as is Allen & Page's range - not sure how the prices compare though (like Sally, I don't have huge amounts of time to research it)
I can understand where you're coming from Katog, wanting to be GM free - but for me Farmgate's attitude to the mouldy feed issue and having the choice of potentially losing weaners -v- not losing weaners took priority over being GM free for the moment.
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:56:51 pm »
We're currently paying £10.80 for the KK mix & £11.30 for the Sow & Weaner - it's a bu@@er getting anyone to stock it around here, so there's not much pricing competition  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:09:45 am »
We're paying £7.30 for the Carrs Billington feed - though not through Carrs, it's more expensive from them  ::)

Our supplier no longer stocks Farmgate, but when they did it was a similar price.  I can find Farmgate sow & weaner online at £7.50, grower £8.60.  http://www.bocmpaulsonline.co.uk/farmgate/pig  Presumeably the feeds are a similar price in a store and no delivery charge (just your own fuel.)

D&H pig feed would seem to be around £9.25 - £9.60.  £10.80 for the pot-bellied / KK version.

A&P online sow pencils 15% protein £9.60.  Incidentally, their sheep and cattle feeds in 20kg bags are just about double what all our local suppliers charge for 25kg bags - but the feed won't be so 'right on' of course. 

I do have local stockists of A&P and D&H, although I think I would have to order pig feed through them; I've never seen it on the shelves.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:07:25 pm »
Well, I've just pre-sold a porker but only if they're fed GM-free food.  Hrmph.

I'm actually inclined now to research making up my own rations; I'd prefer knowing what they were eating and where it came from anyway.  I can get as much organic whey as I want (although they're the people who want a GM-free porker - so I'll be paying for that whey in one way or another!) , spoil spuds at £1/25kg+ sack.  Windfall apples but there don't seem to be as many about this year.

I haven't managed to find a veg shop or supermarket willing to let me have spare / dead veg and fruit, sadly, so I guess I'll have to buy everything else in.

I guess I need some barley or triticale?  Peas?  Cabbages I could probably get by the tonne, turnips too.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »
I've never spent much time researching it Sally (put off by the need for licensing, ability to ensure all the right protiens etc are present and in the right amounts etc) but there are loads of articles on it if you google.
I think there's a bit in the Andy Case book about mixing straights.
One thing the chap at the QMS course said was that soya is the most efficent provider of protein in terms of the amount of protien -v- the amount of food stuff. For example, to gain the required amount from peas you'd probably end up giving your pigs the runs by the time they ate the required amount - so it would be a balancing act between the protien sources.
But having said all that, there's a guy in USA who's raising fatteners on pasture (specially selected & planted) with the addition of whey to their diet for lysine - it is possible, of course it is  ;) it's just weighing up if the time, effort and expense is worth it  :-\

Look out for veg processing plants - is there somewhere that makes fruit salads & veggie bags ? Local allotment or orchard group ? fruit & veg wholesalers or markets ?
Grains need to be rolled I think, or else they pass straight though 'em  ;)

Let us know how you get on - if I find any other info I'll pass it on to you and congratulations on your first sale  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:46:54 pm »
Here's the info I could remember reading - seems very comprehensive  ;)
http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/Newcastle_handbook_of_raw_materials.pdf

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 04:32:51 am »
interesting reading

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:50:22 am »
the thing is with mixing your own feeds is this,  if you actualy mix them you need a millers licence, if you place the seperate ingredient in layers in the trough then you dont need a millers licence, the animal does the mixing.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 09:43:48 am »

Thanks Karen, you're a star.  I had seen this a few weeks back but couldn't find it again when I looked.

the thing is with mixing your own feeds is this,  if you actualy mix them you need a millers licence, if you place the seperate ingredient in layers in the trough then you dont need a millers licence, the animal does the mixing.
:thumbsup: ;) ;D

Grasshopper30

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 10:31:52 am »
Hi
we had exactly the same issue with our pigs, but as we also breed and show our pedigree tamworths we spent quite a while investigating and eventually found Marriages feeds.  All of their feeds are none- GM and they are grown on their own farm in the East of England, so we know where the feed is coming from.  All feed is also milled on their premises.  Feed is either available through stockists, or they will deliver if you are happy to buy in larger quantities.  They have a web-site www.marriagefeeds.co.uk  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS