Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are wild mushrooms safe for pigs  (Read 2314 times)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
Are wild mushrooms safe for pigs
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »
I am hoping to purchase 3 acres of woodlands - and if the existing horses don't demolish the mushrooms first, i am looking to find out if they are suitable for pigs. There is a wee italian man who comes around and picks them all, just as i am about to think about picking them. He dries them and sends them back to Italy as presents (tight sod!!).

Do you think that if through digestion, the pigs will spread the spores and increase the crop or will they wipe them out all together. I am planning a rotation system, through the wooded area.

robert waddell

Re: Are wild mushrooms safe for pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:05 pm »
if pigs spread the spoars after eating   i wont get in there pens for mushrooms the amount they have eaten this year :pig: :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »
I've found with our Kunes, they seem to be quite careful about what they eat - they seem to know not to touch bluebells or foxgloves for example.  I think the digestive system will destroy the spores of any mushrooms they eat.  I'm guessing that if the wee italian man is picking them, then they'll be ok (unless he's fallen out with his family  ;) )
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:02:00 pm »
we have alot of wild mushrooms here, and the pigs arent ill. whether they eat them or not i dont know.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS