Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What price for meat?  (Read 3399 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
What price for meat?
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »
We had our meat back last Friday and nicely bagged all the sausages into 12's, and belly pork etc.

How much do you charge for your various joints?

I've googled 'buying pork online' and came across a few online butchers, so used their selling prices as a guide, is this ok?

(only selling to friends and family, but hopefully the money will go towards our next two, or three, or fo.....)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: What price for meat?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »
Yes, a good idea to find out what others charge.  But most important is to work out how much it has cost you to produce the meat.....Don't undersell yourself.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:53:30 pm »
I know the cost of the pigs, feed, slaughter, and abatoir, came in at £120 per pig (we had two).

I have a list of all the meat and weights received, and going on internet prices, our £240 is worth £455 at retail prices, does that sound right?

I'm not taking into account the fuel to visit them daily, or the fencing costs, as I check my horses anyway so was making the trips out in any way, plus fencing materials will be there now for further pigs :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »
I know the cost of the pigs, feed, slaughter, and abatoir, came in at £120 per pig (we had two).

Blimey!   How did you do that?!   :o :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:59:28 pm »
If we'd sold all of the meat from our two they would have been worth £780, we priced at farm shop prices.  I'll reiterate what Julie says - even if they are friends or family, don't undersell your yourself; word will spread if it is quality meat and you don't want to be stuck in a predicament of keeping to those prices.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:00:20 pm »
Sorry, I meant slaughter/abatoir and butcher.

Pigs £70, Feed (8 weeks only £70), Slaughter £50, Butcher £50

I was fortunate I suppose in that the pigs came to me at 4 months old, and the price was a bargain really.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:01:31 pm »
Thanks both of you, no I shan't undersell, I shall go on shop prices for sure - we need to buy and feed more pigs ;D

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:49:26 pm by white-blazes »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
Sounds very reasonable.  Print off Jimmy Farm and Duchy of Cornwall prices and show people what a bargain they are getting buying from you.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:21:45 am »
thanks HM ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS