Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaners  (Read 8485 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Re: weaners
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »
Robert, you are absolutely right about the shut down, paper trail etc.  We are just going to keep the two we got and make sure that we don't make the same mistake again.  If necessary, we will slaughter at a lighter weight to ensure there are no difficulties.  I can say that it is a mistake I won't make again.  Just goes to show that no matter how much preparation you make and how much info you gather, it can be the simplest of problems that come and bite you in the bum.  Thanks again everyone.
Melanie x

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 01:00:33 pm »
Maybe I didn't make myself clear   ???  I just meant melodrama should ring up the supplier asap (straight away) and make the appointment to get it back - even if they have to wait the 20 days from collection.

PS: Just read melodrama is keeping them. Shame the supplier got away with it!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:03:15 pm by OhLaLa »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »
Hi there - I am no "pig expert" but have kept weaners for the house for over 20 years now.  Not every year mind, just when I have eaten my way through the last lot.

Although I now specify whether I want males or females (normally males as I find they are a bit cheaper generally, and grow a bit quicker)  when I started, and before the internet was there to give us so much information I generally bought what was advertised in the local paper, so they were often mixed sexes.

I must say I never had a problem with any of them, though they were mostly traditional breeds.  And they just went off to slaughter when they looked like a nice leg of ham on the trotter  :D , or when I just couldn't stand the trouble of looking after them any longer (Six Iron Age pigs in a muddy pen fenced with electric wire as winter is setting in ...... :o ;D )

I wouldn't worry too much, but if you are into that sort of thing you might be able to get a bit of a refund, or maybe something off the next ones if it was a genuine type of person you were buying from

Enjoy keeping them, and don't fall in love with them too much, I found it very hard when my first two were slaughtered.....

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:32 pm »
In all the years of my family being in pigs we have never had a problem with keeping litter mates together untill slaughter, non are castrated.

Dont worry it'll be fine, act only if you start seeing mounting

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 01:43:16 pm »
at the end of the day, a newbie has been duped into purchasing something that she shouldn't have.  I've been on the end of similar when I got my sheep and it took me an age to get them sorted - in the furor of getting a new animal it's quite possible to not realise what you're getting until the excitement has died down and you get time to sit and actually have a good old look.

Personally I'd go back to the breeder and get some money back - you've bought something that you didn't want, check your paperwork and report them to DEFRA and animal health if things don't add up if you don't get a satisfactory outcome.  It's a result as you get the best of both worlds and probably won't keep them to breed from (which is what usually happens if you get two gilts as a newbie!!!)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »
When I ordered our first two pigs, I thought I was getting a girl and a boy (never knew this would be a problem at the time) but luckily the man dropped me off two males, and the girl and remaining two males went off to another person known to me.  It was only as time went on I realised it is a 'no-no' because the poor girl was being harassed by the males.  Their slaughter weights were also affected as she weighed 35kg, the boys 40kg, whereas both my boys were 50kg.

I shall definately get same sex again :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS