Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to AI the Jersey?  (Read 11707 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
When to AI the Jersey?
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:10:05 am »
Folks, I really hope I don't need this advice, but I've just had Hillie AI'd for the 4th time...

BH is used to suckler cows, and he gets them AI'd when they're jumping and standing for others jumping them. 

I think I remember hearing that Jerseys are tricky to catch, and something about doing it 8 hours after or something?

If she doesn't hold this time I think I'll be asking if Hillie can visit my neighbour's good Galloway bull - but I thought (especially as we have some Jersey-experienced folk on here) it was worth a post.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to AI the Jersey?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:44 am »
Because we've only got 2 and therefore difficult to see them bulling, the vet suggested that we use PRIDs. He's coming today to put the sponges in, comes next week to inject prostraglandin, I take the sponges out at 3pm on the 27th June (joy  ;D) and they are inseminated at 3pm on 29th and 30th.

The sponges stop the cycle and the prostraglandin starts it again - I think. Timing is crucial - has to be done to a timetable and the 48 hours between sponges out and AI is most important. The AI technician recommended the double insemination.

God knows how much it will cost but if we get them in calf right away, it will be worth it. Fingers crossed anyway.

THere seems to be different ways of doing it - two straws at the same time, two straws over two days. How old is the cow? Did you buy her in calf?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:29:41 am »
She's not quite 3 years old, I bought her in calf (she'd been running with the bull) and Plenty is now 7 months old.

Since she is lactating I don't feel any particular urgency on that score - I know she'll keep milking as long as I keep taking milk (within reason - I have heard of a Buddhist community that kept their cow in milk for 6 years without a calf but that's a little extreme!)  

Ideally I wouldn't have her dry when I want milk for orphan lambs next year, but that boat has now sailed anyway, unless I stop trying now until October ...  ::)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:53:02 pm »
Vet's been, heifers were pretty well behaved and the "crush" worked fine. The PRIDs are in - the strings hang out so we've to hope they don't lick each others and pull them out. Yuk.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:00 pm »
Sounds like you've rustled up a home-made crush, Rosemary?  Care to share the details?

I'll be interested to see how the synchronisation turns out - we tried it with some of our Blue Grey bulling heifers a few years back (they were a too small for the bull and we couldn't catch them all bulling for AI) but I don't remember anything about sponges and strings.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:04:26 am »
I'll put up sme photos of the "crush". It will only work for thing being done "at the back end", so fine for AI, and for cows that are haltered. It's just a gate hinged on the wall of the byre, with a couple of tie rings - one at the  front to tie the cow to and one at the side to put the rope through to lever the gate over, thus holding the cow's hind quarters. The vet said the cow moving forward and back was OK but moving side to side made things very difficult  ;D

PRID is progesterone releasing intravaginal device. It releases progesterone for 7 days and this suppresses the oestrus cycle. Once the device is taken out, oestrus occurs in 48 hours, so you can accurately inseminate at the optimum time. Strike rate for single insemination is 55% and that increases with double - second AI 72 hours after removal, which is what we're doing. I think it's used to synchronise batches of heifers and for cows that are hard to see the heat period in. Obviously, other management issues are important too (according to the blurb) but I thik this will be geared towards the dairy industry where AI is the norm and fertility is a problem.

If they don't hold, at least we'll know when to look for bulling. If there's no sign of bulling 21 days after, they'll be PDd 35 days after AI, then we'll know if they are in calf.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:41:07 am »
I think I remember hearing that Jerseys are tricky to catch, and something about doing it 8 hours after or something?

I don't know what sort of bull you are using or what AI company, but we always use Genus as if you ring before 10am they guarantee to inseminate the cow the same day.

They offer a straw called fertility plus, which is actually a mix of semen usually from three bulls. The wrigglers from the different bulls swim along at different speeds, giving you a wider time window within which fertilsation can occur. We usually use this is a cow doesn't hold to the bull of choice first time around.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 11:58:15 am »
Aha, fertility plus, I will mention that to our AI guy if she doesn't hold this time.  He used a straw of a bull which is known for fertility this time, so fingers crossed.

We are very blessed in having a superb local AI man - we are just waiting for him now, having called him after breakfast (this to one of the suckler cows.)  He'll be here before dinner (midday meal   ;D.)  I've never waited more than 6 hours for him, and if you catch one in the late afternoon or evening and he's not in your area you can ask him for an early call and he'll come before 8:30am the next day. 

We're without bull at the moment, and with 30 breeding cows and 14 bulling heifers coming on, we are keeping him pretty busy!   ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 12:44:43 pm »
We're using Genus too - they have a local technician and they hold the RBST semen. In the limited dealings I've had with the technician so far - only phone calls - she's been very helpful and efficient.

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 12:26:45 am »
We AI'D our jersey annabelle 3 times last yr, we had also bought her in calf. After 3 attempts using fertility plus we took her to the local limi bull, she was bulled on arrival held to him and is due next month. Cheeky old farmer said to me lass some just perfare it on draught.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:32:46 am »
We AI'D our jersey annabelle 3 times last yr, we had also bought her in calf. After 3 attempts using fertility plus we took her to the local limi bull, she was bulled on arrival held to him and is due next month. Cheeky old farmer said to me lass some just perfare it on draught.

;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 09:25:20 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:00 am »
Well, fingers crossed our jesrsy has held first time around. She was ai'd abut five weeks ago and no sign of her bulling. Used a BB bull - BBxjersey is the most fantastic house cow.

The other cow we ai'd the same day hasn't held  :( - used a Limmy on her, so will need doing again.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

monkeysox

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Colchester, Essex
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:56 pm »
Hi there,

I find its very easy to spot a bulling Jersey, they are such characters you can spot it a mile off! I never serve a cow unless i have 100% seen her stand to be mounted. All the above advice is very good and having used genus for at least 5 years before i got my own AI ticket i fully recomend them too. Fert+ is also a good option, if you want some extra back up ask your vet for a bottle of "receptal" I found it very effective.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 12:45:01 pm »
OH is an AI tech ( used to work for Hampshire Cattle Breeders) and he said serve her at least 8 hrs after seeing her standing and then serve her the following day ( that's two days ) of Fertility+
Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS