Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pasture Raised Pigs  (Read 7546 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Pasture Raised Pigs
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »
We certainly reared ours last year on a fair amount of milk. We did give them pig nuts as well, which may well account for the fact that ours ended up quite fatty! They also got a fair amount of veg too. Could try it here, as we have the milk (generally) but I don't know if we have enough grass for them. Having read that article though, certainly might try on less pig nuts next time!

Beth

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:15 am »
I was told to cut out milk and milk products at 16 weeks for a pig going to slaughter at 26-30 weeks. 

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »
Why would that be H.M.?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:08 am »
Apparently to reduce the back fat.  I dont have access to milk stuff now, but a friend who carried on feeding whey to 28 weeks had the fattest tammies I have ever seen.  Somewhere in the depths of my computer is a photograph of her pig who really does look like Jabba the Hut.  I will see if I can find it.   ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 10:27:57 am »
I only have the experience of the one (OSB) pig going to slaughter but she was not fat at all - the meat was almost too lean in a way; it had a good covering (about 20mm, which to me for a free-range pig is absolutely fine) but not so much within the meat. 

I had been fairly obsessive about not overfeeding...  She had whey up until about 2 months before she went, but I always gave them less nuts when they were having whey.  Thay had a LOT of apples in the last few months - and you really could taste it in the pork!  I don't cook apple sauce to go with a Gaby roast!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »
Oh my mouth is watering ......  we have chicken tonight, sadly.

Fionnyonions

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »
Free range pigs and pasture pigs are definitely the way to go.
Anyone know any place handy to hang salami, chorizo etc.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »
Anyone know any place handy to hang salami, chorizo etc.

Bring 'em here - I'll find a barn...  ;) :yum: :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS