Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long to keep my saddlebacks for bacon?  (Read 2545 times)

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
How long to keep my saddlebacks for bacon?
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:27:11 am »
Hi folks
We have our first pair of saddlebacks and have been advised to keep them for 8-9 months for bacon. Does this sound about right?  My father is convinced this is too long, but he was a more commercial farmer.
Would appreciate your views....... ???

HappyHippy

Re: How long to keep my saddlebacks for bacon?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:55:54 pm »
I'd say around 110Kg - 125Kg live weight is traditional bacon size, so yes, probably around 9-10 months. But we made bacon from 85Kg live weight pigs (approx 6 months old) and it was fabby, slightly small (hence the longer finishing time/higher weight normally used) but still very tasty  :yum:
Hope that helps,
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:49:45 am »
Would agree with HH about 9months for gilts though some of our best bacon was from a 2yr old barren gilt.
HTh
Mandy :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:10 am »
the best bacon is from a sow that has just reared a litter of pigs and fattened up       90 kilo pigs are classed as bacon pigs
it all depends on what size the eye of bacon that you want    eye= the meat the large bit  :pig:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:14:47 pm »
We sent off some 11 month GOS females and the bacon was perfect  ;D They probably could have gone a month or so sooner :)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:30:58 pm »
We kept out GOS girls for a year - but they were just a bit too big - and the abattoir insisted on skinning them which was a b***r. Delicious though

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:09:09 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has replied. The general consensus seems to be that 9 months should be fine. Still on track to have some of our bacon later this year then! Can't wait.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS