Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rat traps dilemma  (Read 8250 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
rat traps dilemma
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:02 am »
I've put down our old humane rat trap near the duck feed, as they treated themselves to free lunches, dinners and breakfasts! We can't have killer traps or poison near the birds. I've caught three birds in it over the last 2 says, but the rats always seem to get out! The trap door definitely works, it's a real pain. Are their tails that long that they manage to lift the door up again??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: rat traps dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:07 pm »
I had rats back up north.  I put rat poison in a box with a cover and a hole at each end.  chickens/ducks coudn't get access to poison and it got rid of the rats.  for good measure I also used one of thsse sonic things but I don't know if that worked.  I got the rat box at a local Agri shop
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:23:47 pm »
Never used the humaine traps only if they get stuck in a empty feed bin, then i cant go anywhere near them, (have to run and get hubby to tip them out again) so dont think i'd be able to let them out of a trap they'd starve to death!!
I put poision in a plastic milk bottle, cut the hole a little bigger, put some red paint on it (Everyone here knows to leave the red one's well alone) and a bit of string on the handle ties it down. The hens can not get their head in to eat the poision, and i dont know if the smell of the old milk inside attracts them but they always seem to eat from the bottles better than enything else.

Dont know if thats any help

Emma.
(my spell check and smillies have stoped working!!??)

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:29:16 pm »
Rat poison in a bait box has always worked very well for us!  :)
juliag

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:30 pm »
Another method is small poly bags(sandwich bags) with rat poison in them and tied tight.  Poke them into holes in the wall above chicken/duck height. when they're gone the rats have taken them back to the nest. When the bags don't go away you've killed the rats and the baby rats too
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »
A good cat or two is all that's required. Saves having any poisons out on the land.
We only see dead rats & mice.

Cheers

Gavin

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:40 am »
Our cat's a brilliant mouser, but the bigger variety's not her thing (she's getting on a bit) - and she doesn't like the ducks, so won't go in that part of the garden. But I must say, since we had the cat, we didn't get them in the kitchenanymore (a real nightmare a few years back). Environmental health sorts out the ones that come for shelter into the attic...

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:32 am »
Our cats hopeless, use to have a toy poodle who was brilliant until see lost her teeth then she would launch them 10 foot in the air and leave them stunned, was thinking of asking the local charity but don't want house cats, not really a cat lover! :cat: :cat: :dog: :pig:

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:58:34 am »
We were given a Patterdale pup for the rats when we bought the farm and people swore blind that they were great for this.  He's only about 20 weeks old now and I doubt very much if he will look a rat when he gets older.  At the moment he is only interested in arguing with our older dog (a 14 stone English Mastiff) & he's only about 10lbs.  All they do is argue over the teddy bears !?!  and the little one wins most of the time.
So only time will tell if he gets rats or not - I will let you know
Milly

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:25 pm »
If the breeding of your Patterdale is correct then it will be an instinct to find and kill rats, as it is with most small terriers.  I am surprised he isn't already doing this at 6 months of age.  I would check with his breeder that his parents and forebears were good ratters.  Mind you if he is a teddy bear killer you won't want to exchange him for another anyway ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  TBs can be a damned pest at times!  Especially if they lose themselves JUST before bedtime! ::)

Lubob

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:20:18 pm »
I wouldn't worry our Patterdale is 4 and is still destroying any Teddy he can get his paws on!  He wasn't interested in anything else other than playing and tormenting our german shepherd until he was about 1 1/2, then the ratting instinct kicked in!!   :D ;)

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 12:49:44 pm »
Bob - the teddy raider - is from a long line of ratters so we were hoping he would come into his own when he gets a bit older.  I personally wouldn't be bothered either way because he is so funny & cute, but the husband is really quite keen as this is what he was got for.  I wouldn't be without him now anyway and Oscar (the big dog loves him really - when he's not biting his legs that is, or nose, jowls, well anywhere really)  At least Oscar is getting more exercise now - his idea of exercise used to be laid watching me gardening !?!
Thanks for the information - husband can still live in hope now.
Milly

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 12:57:06 pm »
Keep us posted! ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 04:56:02 pm »
Martin Clunes did a TV programme on dogs last year. He was comparing them to wolves, since they have 99% shared DNA. In most dogs we have diminished the hunt / kill instinct to fit our own purposes eg herd dogs - except terriers, where the kill instinct has been exaggerated. Even wolves don't kill for fun!

I'm sure he'll come into his own and size will be no barrier.

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 01:01:28 pm »
Despite having 5 feral cats - we still have rats. The cats do keep them down it bit but they are not a complete solution. Does anyone know if it's safe to use poison with cats - at least one the cats has been known to actually eat the rats (YUK!!), so I don't want to poison the cats as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS