Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I be picking pig poo?  (Read 9227 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Should I be picking pig poo?
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »
 ;D ;D

no seriously - just seen on another thread someone talk about picking up the pig poo, and wondered if I should be doing that?  i oticed this morning that there is an awful lot of it about!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Should I be picking pig poo?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »
I poo pick the horses fields, and poo pick where the llama is (only because he poos in one specific place, and its easier to pick up than goat and sheep droppings!).  If you can pick the pig poo up easy enough, they I would, because it reduces smells and flies, and helps keep the field/pen  in good order.

My two pigs poo in one corner of their area, making it easier to pick up ....although, with the recent hot weather, when I went to collect it, it make me feel rather sick!!!!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01:00 pm »
Well - I went to pick pig poo.  Half filled a feed bag full, followed along by all 6 of my boys.  Arsene (lead bully) bit the bottom off the bag.  Alex then chewed it, and then Avram got hold of it between his teeth (terrier like) and shook his head so violently that my end of the bag flew up and open and spread the poo all over the ground again!  I am so glad my OH wasn't there with a video.

i will go back at feeding time - it will probably be a little easier with them so distracted!  ;D

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:27:26 pm »
Well - I went to pick pig poo.  Half filled a feed bag full, followed along by all 6 of my boys.  Arsene (lead bully) bit the bottom off the bag.  Alex then chewed it, and then Avram got hold of it between his teeth (terrier like) and shook his head so violently that my end of the bag flew up and open and spread the poo all over the ground again!

:D :D :D

Great names. Do you have a José too?  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:32:28 pm »
Well - I went to pick pig poo.  Half filled a feed bag full, followed along by all 6 of my boys.  Arsene (lead bully) bit the bottom off the bag.  Alex then chewed it, and then Avram got hold of it between his teeth (terrier like) and shook his head so violently that my end of the bag flew up and open and spread the poo all over the ground again!  I am so glad my OH wasn't there with a video.

i will go back at feeding time - it will probably be a little easier with them so distracted!  ;D

Clearly this post should be in the 'recreational items for pigs' thread !   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »
Made me chuckle too;D ;D - do you have a Sam ??? - I wondered where Avram went - I have a 'arry'  ;D :wave:

Nelson (WHU fan  :( )

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:23 pm »

[/quote]

I have Alex, Arsene, Avram, Kenny, Roberto and Carlo!  ;D.  these boys are all for the chop!  (I am a Spurs fan, and I couldn't possibly get rid of a Harry now could I?)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
Greenerlife,
I am obviously not with it today.  I thought you meant you have 6 (male) children. I did think it odd that one of them would bite the bottom off of the poo bag   ???  ??? and then by the time I got to the end of your mail I was thinking what a very strange family you have. 

All has since become clear   ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:02 pm »

I have Alex, Arsene, Avram, Kenny, Roberto and Carlo!  ;D.  these boys are all for the chop!  (I am a Spurs fan, and I couldn't possibly get rid of a Harry now could I?)
[/quote]

I thought it must be some cult telly thing so didn't try to get it, but then I got it when I saw them all listed out like that.  It's a good job I don't have boars, I would never keep any long enough to do their job!  (Sam, Kevin, Joe, Alan, Chris, Alan ...  :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »
I poo pick every day usually with one of them trying to tip the bucket over. The compost pile is getting bigger!
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »
i also poo pick, keeps the field tidy and i find it quite theraputic on a nice warm evening!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »
i also poo pick, keeps the field tidy and i find it quite theraputic on a nice warm evening!

glad I am not the only weirdo out there then!   :P

my second attempt today was, how should I put this...fruitful?   ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:03:41 pm »
A shavings fork picks it all up quite nicely. Pop it onto the compost/muck heap and then your veggies will benefit in due course too.

:pig:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »
we poo pick..........well i say we its usually my OH

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:47 pm »
Blimey you lot should get out more,poo picking no way. ::)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS