Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for an In-Pig Kune Kune sow  (Read 1596 times)

welshmatt88

• Joined Jun 2011
Looking for an In-Pig Kune Kune sow
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:34:33 pm »
Hi all , am new to this forum, and as have mentioned in my introducing post, i live and work on a farm in Berkshire/Oxfordshire area, however am interested in getting an in-pig Kune Kune sow to have in paddock outside my house, but as of yet have had no luck finding one ! Preferably in pig to another breed of boar ( slightly faster growing piglets for meat) and doesnt matter if the sow is registered etc, so yes as i said am struggling to find one so any help would be great !! thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Looking for an In-Pig Kune Kune sow
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:33:03 pm »
Hello  :wave:
Have you tried posting on the Kune Kune society forum ? It might be worth a shot  ;) Also the KK society offer a rehoming service for KK's and sometimes KK crosses. Have a look on their website http://www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/kunekune-rescue.html or get in touch with Wendy Scudamore, there are lots of KK's out there looking for homes.
I have a few myself, but think that Glasgow might be a bit of a trek somehow  ;)
Oh, and you're always better with 2 (or more  ;D) they will get very lonely on their own  :'(
HTH
Karen

chickenfeed

Re: Looking for an In-Pig Kune Kune sow
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:35:36 am »
as HH says there are lots of pigs out there and you should be looking at having 2, just like to add if you are new to pigs you may like to think about getting in a younger pig and really getting to know each other before having her farrow, i think the trust is built up over time and that trust will be put to great use after she has forrowed.

the kk we have just farrowed had 6 months to get used to us and us her she is well up for belly rubs and fuss and knows our voices.

the reason i say this is my parents had a small pig unit in the 80's about (100 pigs) and a pig brought in turned out to be a handfull turning on anyone that entered her space, turns out thats why she was sold she also did this to her previous owners as soon as she had weaned her piglets she was off for sausages.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS