Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our New Oxford Sandy and Black Gilt Weaners.  (Read 2754 times)

southwestpoultry

• Joined Jun 2011
Our New Oxford Sandy and Black Gilt Weaners.
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:57:41 am »
Good Morning All,

We collected our pair of Oxford Sandy and Black Weaner Gilts this morning, here is a link to a photograph I just took of them resting beside their house....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150207307593396&set=a.10150102427543396.291119.758498395&type=1&theater

Sorry for the facebook link but being new we have not yet worked out how to upload images straight to the forum.

I am sure we have a busy but worrying day today - making sure that the fence keeps them in.

Regards
Robert & Sarah.

South West Poultry.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Our New Oxford Sandy and Black Gilt Weaners.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:06:01 pm »
They are so cute  :pig: OSB were what i wanted to start with but unable to source any here,so we went with GOS who are 5 months old now and great fun. You will spent hours just watching them!! good luck
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 04:04:54 pm »
Lovely  :love: :pig: :love: OSB's are just such pretty pigs.
I've found mine to be quite good escape artists though  ::) Is that electrified poultry net in the background of your photo ? Any weaknesses and they'll find them  ;)
Enjoy your pigs & I look forward to seeing more photo's as they get bigger.
Karen  :wave:

southwestpoultry

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »
Thank you for your comments, Yes the poultry netting is electrified but we are only switching it on when they fancy chewing it or when they think about looking for a gap! Luckily for us at least one of us is here during the day to keep an eye on them, the fence will be switched on overnight to stop anything getting in or out.

They seem very contented so far, we are sure we will understand what the different noises they make mean over time.

Regards
Robert & Sarah.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:25:10 pm »
Oh you'll have great fun learning to talk pig  ;)
They DO have different little noises depending on how they're feeling. The first one you'll learn is the "we're hungry, where's our food" - it tends to be quite high pitched and excitable, and if you take too long, very LOUD  ;D
Long low grunts are usually the result of belly rubs and ear scrathes and a single high pitched squeel accompanied by a dash behind the arc means "I don't like that" - enjoy 'em  ;D
Karen  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:37:20 pm »
Lovely little oinkers! 

They will grow so FAST!

You will have such FUN!

And get so good at FENCING!!   ;D

Thanks for posting the pic.  Here's my two at the same age:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:01:42 am »
Lovely pigs, enjoy them.

southwestpoultry

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:17 am »
Well we made it through our first night, I was a little concerned that either they would be frightened as we were forecast heavy thundery showers or they would not be in their paddock this morning.
Not to worry though as when I looked out of the window they were outside and had turned over quite a bit of the damp ground already.
Electrified netting still standing along with their converted shed house.

Breakfast given at 9am so as not to give them a too early breakfast time as some of us do appreciate a lie in on some mornings, which is very rare here with the cockerels crowing just after 4am, luckily we have grown accustomed to that now and it does not awaken us from our slumbers.

All we need now is someone local willing to rent us a larger paddock as this one will not be sufficient enough in size for when they get bigger.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

Warmest Regards
Robert & Sarah.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS