Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 Kunes castrated  (Read 4157 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
3 Kunes castrated
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:50 am »
Had 3 of my boys done the other week :) kept one as a stud male so we'll see how that all goes lol. 

I have to say that i nearly died when the vet gave me the end bill  :'( when i phoned up to get a quote i told the lady that they were 6 months old and 1 was still very small.  She told me that the price would be between £60-£80 for all 3  :D I jumped at this as i was expecting to pay at least £100 for them.

I booked them in and took all 4 down so i could get her advice on which to keep as a stud blah blah anyway i left all 4 at the vets and went to get parts for the stock trailer that some lovely person had hit while i was in a shop the previous day.  When i got back they were all out cold ( i was told they would be done awake but doped) which set alarm bells off but i let it ride.  We waited for ages for them to wake up and the vet said that she was happy that they were breathing and i could take them still dopey.  So we carried them into the trailer and left them in there while she did my final bill.  She came out and told me that due to the fact that they had ketamine the price was a bit higher .... ok ...... £159.00 !!!!! Well bugger me i nearly died !!!!!!!! Hubby was spitting teeth but i blamed him anyway cos he was the one who wanted them to be cut and 2 rehomed ( i wanted to slaughter 2 of them)

I paid half of it and will be paying the other half at the end of the month.  My mantra has been that they are going to a nice home and will lead long and loving lives ........ Rant over lol

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: 3 Kunes castrated
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:36 pm »

Ouch! Double the price is a bit more than ' a bit higher '.

Our three were castrated by the vet at around 10 wks - just before we got them. I'm sure the people we bought them from said it was only ~£15 to have each of them cut.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:47:21 pm »
My first ones were done by a local vet (after MANY phonecalls relating to anesthetics and inguinal hernias) I had been quoted £40 each, but on returning to collect them I was told £40 total for 4 as they'd been done with the old 'slice and cut' method  >:( (It's a very long story - but suffice to say I have since changed vets  ;) ) Now, maybe it was complete coincidence but it left us with one who herniated and had a very hefty repair bill following the hernia op  ::)
The next ones were done by another vet, who did listen, and used anesthetic etc - result 3 Kune Kunes who are all fine, but it did cost me £40 + VAT per piglet.
It's the anesthetic that pushes the price up  ::) and it goes by weight, at 6 weeks old my KK piglets were weighing in at around 15Kg each.
You've got my sympathies  :-*

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:11:03 pm »
To be totally honest i am pleased that they've been done now and i can rehome them as pets to a lovely couple that will adore them and spoil them like they were spoiled before i had them.  It was a "closed castration" so a lot safer for them the vet said.  If i do go down the breeding route i am not sure if i'll castrate them but send them to slaughter about 6-8 months old.  Non of mine are pets but are used for stock. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 03:09:32 pm »
You're quite right - for pets they are definately better to be castrated.
I forgot to say in my post above - the second vet and the charge of £40 per pig is for the closed castration. My vet, like yours, believes this to be a much safer option for KK's. I think, if you're sending them for pork they'd be better off uncastrated (providing you can split them from any gilts from about 3 months onwards to prevent potential cross/in-breeding) as I'm finding it can stunt their growth a bit.
Karen x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:30:06 pm »
I have to say, welshlass181, if it were me, based on your recounting of events, I would not be paying the £159 but giving the vet the opportunity to have another go at producing an acceptable bill. 

You were quoted £60-£80 and as far as I can see from your story you were not asked about the ketamine, so they decided to do that - and double the bill - without discussion with you.  Fair enough, you'll have signed an authorisation and they must've had a reason.  Did you have a mobile with you?  Could they have contacted you to confirm that you wished to go ahead with all three being anaesthetised?  (You might have decided to butch one or more instead?)

If they could and/or should've discussed it with you then I would ask if there is any room to reduce the bill.

Our vet will normally, if asked, make a reduction if there is a mix-up like this.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:53:28 pm »
I have to say, welshlass181, if it were me, based on your recounting of events, I would not be paying the £159 but giving the vet the opportunity to have another go at producing an acceptable bill. 

You were quoted £60-£80 and as far as I can see from your story you were not asked about the ketamine, so they decided to do that - and double the bill - without discussion with you.  Fair enough, you'll have signed an authorisation and they must've had a reason.  Did you have a mobile with you?  Could they have contacted you to confirm that you wished to go ahead with all three being anaesthetised?  (You might have decided to butch one or more instead?)

If they could and/or should've discussed it with you then I would ask if there is any room to reduce the bill.

Our vet will normally, if asked, make a reduction if there is a mix-up like this.

I quite agree.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:10:28 pm »
I signed nothing at all just left them there in the trailer.  I think they had my details as i had to open an account but not 100% sure.  It's done now and there is nothing i can do about it lol i wont be taking any of my animals there ever again.  Got a lot going on in my personal life at the moment and it's not worth the stress to give them crap (normall i would trust me) but i am happy that they are going to make nice pets and be spoiled and even though it's not worth £150 odd quid but it's done.  The boys are ok and healing well so bugger it.  Shan't be promoting them to anybody either tbh lol and maybe by the end of the month i might have some more oompf in me to give them hassle hehe

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »
Due to the fact that the sow flatten two of her litter I am now having to take the female and a male but he will be castrated before they arrive. Such a shame that out of a litter of 6 only 2 remain , Still getting the brown boy along with the black girl. Am I right on thinking that you can put up some sort of board that the piglets can escape too to save this happening. I am told the sow did the same last year. The remaining two are doing very well.  :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:12:38 pm »
Some folks use farrowing bars to stop their sows from rolling on their piglets - a bit of a similar set-up to those used by dog breeders (but obviously much stronger  ;) ) others use a "creep area" usually a corner of mum's area with a couple of bars across it that the piglets can get under, but mum can't, with a heat lamp over it to attract the little ones in.  Keeps them safe while not suckling while they're small & can be used to introduce hard feeding without mum "pigging" it  :D

Sounds like the breeder of your piggies has had an exceptionally  bad experience this time losing so many  :(
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS