Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lay zeeeeee pig  (Read 1685 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Lay zeeeeee pig
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:22 am »
I can find absolutely nothing wrong with Digby, his coat shines, he eats well (rather too well) drinks, and the water works etc are all fine.  For the past few days he has gone to bed at 7.30 pm as usual, but although he sits up to eat his breakfast, he goes back to bed and stay there until 5 or 6 in afternoon, without even going out for a pee.  When he does get up he wanders out, drinks, pees for about 5 minutes.  He is back in bed again by 7.30.  He doesnt appear depressed.  I know pigs spend most of their day eating or sleeping but this does seem a tad ott.  Any comforting advice would be much appreciated.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Lay zeeeeee pig
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:45:17 am »
Delia & Gerry do this sometimes and i put it down to old age and hot weather. Delia is particularly terrible for not drinking and i sometimes have to take a bucket into her house and force her to drink! I think its because she's so darn lazy. So long as he's doing everything a pig should be doing i wouldn't worry unduly.
mandy  :pig:
PS He hasn't pulled a muscle or hurt a trotter? coz that sometimes makes them stay in bed. see if you can tempt him to a walk around.
HTh

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:42:03 am »
Thanks Mandy for your comforting reply.  This morning he actually got up at 8 am, had his breakfast and waddled out to lie under his favoourite tree.  I think you are right, its just laziness, I am much relieved.   ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:57 am »
Glad to hear he's up and about.
Gerry wasn't up this morning when i went out, Delia was as usual pushing the gate off its hinges because she's just so starved NOT ::), Gerry ambled out of the house snotting and sneezing, thinks he's either got a cold or hayfever. Wiped his nose on a tissue and then he ate his breakfast, when i went to collect their empty trugs he was stood in the wallow, rooting up great lumps of mud so nothing wrong really just having a lie-in. Too good a life thats their trouble!
Mandy  :pig: ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:37:41 pm »
poor old Digby, hope he's ok.
can you spread out his brekky abit, so he has to get up & root about - so you can check kis trotters etc.  Though that'll probably wear the poor boy out, if he's just idle!
Little Blue

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:51 am »
Bless him perhaps he is just showing a male trait!

Our girls seem to sleep more when it's hot, which it has been here. I have had to wake them to feed them on several morning! but most evenings they are under their tree grunting for supper.

Do you think H has had words with him and he is sulking??
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS