Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig ark materials  (Read 9179 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
pig ark materials
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »
Hi all,

I was looking longingly at the posh pigs arks for sale and then on ebay i saw the formed metal sheets for sale by the 'Tinman' in tamworth,
i was wondering has anyone purchased any of these sheets and what did you think of them?

Cheers Rob
Rob & Manda :)

HappyHippy

Re: pig ark materials
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:37:38 pm »
Hi Rob,
I've spoken to Tinman a few times trying to arrange delivery to Scotland (which he couldn't do unfortunately) and he seems like a genuine, honest seller. The sheets are pretty much the same the country over  ;) I ended up getting some up this end of the country 0.5mm steel, coated with green paint and lined with a no con-drop coating for around £40 for an 8 ft wide & 4 ft high curve, his prices are a wee bit cheaper though. If you search the forum, there's a thread somewhere called 'Step by step pig arc assembly' which shows how we put them together, in fact, I'll have a look for it and post a link.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:55:58 pm »

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:21 pm »
Thanks thats much appreciated

Rob
Rob & Manda :)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:23:10 pm »
My husband built our first pig arc using the formed metal sheets. Made a fab arc but I do worry it gets a bit hot in summer ??? We have just built a new one for the Kunes and made it triangular shape out of fence panels attatched to the bracing and then just filled in the back gap with wood panels. The pigs seem to like it and it doesn't get too hot. We are going to put roofing felt on the apex to help keep it water tight. The best bit was it was much quicker to build than the original arc and cheaper too  ;D

southwestpoultry

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:42:39 pm »
We converted an old shed, we cut it in half horizontally and then bought a couple of black corrugated bitumen sheets from Wickes screwed a lattice framework at the top and screwed the roofing sheets on top.
Perfick

We did remove the half door after a day as they kept whacking it.

Regards
Robert & Sarah.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:05:43 am »
My dear OH designed and constructed a pig ark so that I could include it as a real life "project" in my Haynes Pig Manualhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Pig-Manual-Complete-Step-step/dp/0857330268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303522258&sr=8-1

Cost about £180 in all, complete with floor - which was a saving of about £300 (minus time, which was about a day). All the measurements and a step by step pictorial guide are in the book. I can't see me paying out for a ready-made one again, good as they can be.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Aharrold

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 06:46:18 pm »
Hi, I know it's an old thread but looking for help.
I'm looking at the Haynes Pig Manual just now and a bit unsure on the measurements. I've been on a website to order the corrugated sheeting and can only get 8ft wide (4ft high), the site specifies that 6ft wide (4ft high) is too tight to curve.
On step 4 your length of wood F is 2.26m this is the width of the floor. How can your corrugated sheet you advise at 1.8m wide fit?
Confused, please help  ???

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 09:31:55 am »
I was lucky enough to get the corrugated sheets free,  just had to dismantle and transport them. I will be using the Haynes Manual design. Will keep you posted :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 12:07:56 pm »
We are going to put roofing felt on the apex to help keep it water tight. ;D

If you mean the gap where one sheet meets the other, try plastic guttering for a curved ridge tile effect.

tinmansteelsltd

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 01:33:22 pm »
HI all my name is James and I work at Tinman Steels all of our pig ark sheets are now made from 0.7mm galvanised steel with the option of either 275g plain galvanised or coated in pvc plastisol in either Juniper green or Black, we advise the pig arks to be made with a double overlap on the sheeting which will stop water penetration, with the option of a sealing mastic to effectively glue the sheets together.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS