Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peg loom weaving - when to wash fleece?  (Read 16822 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Peg loom weaving - when to wash fleece?
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:11 pm »
I've kept back a few fleeces of various colours (3x shropshire, 2x Hebridean, 3x manx-type, 2x "something bluey-grey") to attempt to weave on a peg loom.
In terms of handling and storage, would it be best to try to wash the fleeces now; or weave "in the raw" and wash the finished item?
My only query about washing the finished item is that it will take me a long time to use all this wool and I dont want to attract any critters (or indeed lend a permanent pong to my compact, rented surroundings).
Thoughts?
Currently I've got the fleeces wrapped in old spare cotton bedsheets; I don't have a pest-proof storage facility other than "wedged between the TV and the bookcase"!

Thank you!
Helen

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Peg loom weaving - when to wash fleece?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:50:40 pm »
Hi Helen.  I think you have answered your own question - you need to wash them now  :D  Dirty wool will attract moths more quickly than clean, although nothing is safe.  Also, once fleece has been washed it stores much better than when it's dirty - it seems to compact more when dirty and doesn't look at all appealing to use afterwards.  However, for a peg loom rug you don't need to wash it so thoroughly as for spinning.  I have a big thing (don't know what it's actually called - ?bath) which came from a dairy.  It's on legs, like the bottom half of a cylinder so round-bottomed, with a drain plug in the bottom.  I fill this up with rain water and add a tiny bit of Ecover washing up liquid, then place a whole well dagged and skirted fleece onto a piece of clematis netting or similar.  I lower the lot into the rain water and leave it to soak for about half an hour, then haul it all out and leave it somewhere to drain and dry - doesn't need a rinse.  This gets rid of most of the smell but leaves some lanolin in.  Obviously you won't have the dairy thing I do but you might be able to adapt something similar (I won't mention your own bath but.......)  Once it has dried try to store it somewhere the moths really can't get in.  Some people use cotton pillow cases which are good, I use woven polypropylene sacks, well tied at the top, but don't store them in polythene bags before they are washed as they will go mouldy.
Your mix of fleeces sound like you will have a brilliant peg loom rug - keep us informed  :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »
Thank you!

My bath is the obvious candidate, it's not like I use it...!  ;D could make staying upright under the shower interesting though...

I'm pondering a few different designs - one blue and white; one using the white/brown/black tones. Not sure whether to go for stripes or a border. Or even squares if I get ambitious!

You mention clematis netting; is there any reason for not using a fine metal mesh I have lying around (I know it disagrees with tanning chemicals, but it wouldn't rust this quickly...would it?). Looks like the next few days will be spent picking over the fleeces, then we'll see how much useable wool is left!

Cheers
Helen

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »
Errr..... am I missing the obvious reason why you couldn't wash in the washing machine (wash the wool, that is, not yourself!) - we're hoping likewise to weave on a peg loom so found the comments so far really interesting .... 

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:14 pm »
Hi,
I am under the impression it would felt...? And wouldn't it clog up the machine? I'd have to have a lot of those little net bags  ;D
I can only fit half of my first fleece in the bath, think I overdid the bubbles, but I did find a plastic mesh thingy in the garden. Now to contrive a drying rack... Might use the metal mesh I mentioned earlier.

But if you *can* use the washing machine, that would be grand!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:40:45 pm »
Hope these work!

Three or four of the fleeces (the bluey ones and the manx-type ones)

One bluey fleece taking up FOUR "school desk" tables

Heath Robinson eat your heart out! My double decker washer/dryer  :farmer: The plastic mesh is what you use to make tracks (e.g. car parking spots) over grass, bamboo canes also pinched borrowed from the garden

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:20:47 am »
Errr..... am I missing the obvious reason why you couldn't wash in the washing machine (wash the wool, that is, not yourself!) - we're hoping likewise to weave on a peg loom so found the comments so far really interesting .... 
Fleece just turns to a big solid felted ball in the washing machine, unless you have one which doesn't rotate at all.  I know someone in the USA who washes all her fleece in a machine but maybe they are different out there.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:26 am »
Wow Yorkshire Lass I am impressed  ;D  You will have that lot washed in no time.  I am beginning to wish we had a bath (we do, but it's still hanging up in the barn and has been since I bought it 16 years ago  :o)  The clematis mesh is just because that's what I have which is stiff enough to keep it's shape when I haul the lot out of the tin bath.

The fleeces look lovely - real sink-your-hands-in-and-have-a-feel lovely.   Do you know what the bluey-grey ones are?  I have one in a bag which was given to me, which is blue texel and a similar colour and I have seen Shetland fleece that colour too.  You will have fun working out your rug pattern.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:26:40 pm »
...turns out the drying will be more of a problem - I can't put anything outside until the weekend, and the ones I washed last night are still wet.  :-\ Isn't it meant to be glorious weather at the weekend? I might have a washerwoman day  ::)

The flock is Hebridean-based, but I know in the past there have been Ryeland and Suffolk tups used. The bluey-grey fleeces look like Hebs when they're still attached to the sheep!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:31:33 am »
Heb fleeces tend to dry quite quickly compared with crimpier types - mine in the boiler room are dry in a couple of days, whereas other breeds can take 4 days.  I keep turning them over and fluffing them a bit, without muddling them up. If it's not too windy they will certainly dry more quickly outside
The bluey fleece looks very crimpy for a Heb type and looks like a single or almost single coat.  It doesn't take much new blood to change the type though - perhaps the Ryeland?  It will be interesting to hear how you find them all to work with.
Are they getting dry yet?  When will you get a bath/shower???  :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:33:06 am by Fleecewife »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:49 am »
The blue one does look like it has had ryeland somewhere in it.

I have quite a few bad fleeces from last year that I was wondering what to do with them so I have convinced OH to build me a peg loom whilst he is off work and I can make a few rugs and bags etc may bring a few more pennies to the pot.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 05:45:43 pm »
What is best for the warp?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 07:55:29 pm »
I have the blue fleece split into 3 pieces spread on the plastic mesh in my living room! Roll on the weekend when I can take over the kitchen, meeting room*, garden, and yard.... I've bought some more plastic mesh (pond/fruit netting from Homebase) to put together a kind of fleecey sandwich or washing and drying without blowing bits away.

If by warp you mean threads that hold the woven bits, then I have a cone of something that came with the loom  ::)

*essentially I live on a farm that's converted to offices, so I can't "play" until everyone sodds off home :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:31 pm »
The mesh sandwich sounds like a good idea  :)  Hope the  weather is good for drying at the weekend.

Yes warp is the fixed uppy-downy bits, weft across the way.  I used to save all the bits of string which close feed sacks for a friend who did peg loom weaving.  They would be long enough for a bag but not a rug. The trouble with string is that it's white and would show on my Heb fleeces - I suppose I could dye it......

OH has started our shearing today.  8 down, 48 to go  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:...  I'm getting interested in trying the peg loom - I have one but have only had one wee try on it.  You must both post pics once you get started to help get me inspired  :) :)

I have the blue fleece split into 3 pieces spread on the plastic mesh in my living room! Roll on the weekend when I can take over the kitchen, meeting room*, garden, and yard.... I've bought some more plastic mesh (pond/fruit netting from Homebase) to put together a kind of fleecey sandwich or washing and drying without blowing bits away.

If by warp you mean threads that hold the woven bits, then I have a cone of something that came with the loom  ::)

*essentially I live on a farm that's converted to offices, so I can't "play" until everyone sodds off home :)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 10:49:46 am »
Mesh sandwiches (or teabags as I explained to one bemused friend!) aren't quite working - the fleece still comes apart as I try to lift the netting out of the bath - it's not rigid at all.

Plan B - layer of the mesh over a Heras panel, propped up on two chairs and the hen house outside, wash fleeces in clumps and just lay out. I can use another Heras-sized piece of mesh over all the fleeces if it gets breezy. So far, perfect hot weather!

...I need more Heras panels!   :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS