Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kunes and Pygmy Goats Together?  (Read 2061 times)

luminousbrit

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Shropshire
    • Gilberries Smallholding
    • Facebook
Kunes and Pygmy Goats Together?
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone keep Kunes and Pygmy goats together in the same area?

Is it possible?

What are the pros and cons?

I would appreciate your thoughts :-)

Bye for now,

Luminousbrit
Bye For Now,

Luminousbrit

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Kunes and Pygmy Goats Together?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »
we kept our kune boar with two female goats - one old Sanaan & a baby togg- for a time, whilst his gorls were "maturing"

The main issue is over food, the pig will shove them out to get to their concentrate, over-eat if there's alot!
  when Murphy was fully mature, he tried sexually harassing the goats.. but couldn't reach!!  they just moved or gently butted him - ours are disbudded, but I imagine your pygmies will be horned?

If you have plenty of room, and separate feeding areas/systems (eg raised feeders for the goats that porky-pigs can't reach) then there will be less chance of problems.
What kind of numbers & set-up are you talking?   how old are the animals - we had the pigs a week before the goats, so they were fine with other, as it was all new!

health wise, there shouldnt be too many crossovers, its more injuries you'll need to watch for.
  h.t.h.   :wave:

Little Blue

luminousbrit

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Shropshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »
Hi Little Blue,

That helps a lot :-)

I have got my first pigs (large Blacks) two days ago  ;D and just thinking ahead as we want kunes and pygmy goats.

When I have seen pygmy goats they tend not to eat the grass where as I thought the kunes would graze the grass and wondered if they could share the land.

Hmmm, lots to think about :-)

Thank you.
Bye For Now,

Luminousbrit

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »
I'd say they'd be fine sharing the land ... just maybe need separate sleeping places where you shut them in & give evening feed ??

kunes will definitely graze ... but they do root too (just perhaps not as much as bigger pigs) so could make the ground uneven & muddy for the goats, depends on your land.  and will need mud to wallow etc.
and make the drinking water dirty whick the goats will hate!!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:42 am »
I have the kune kunes penned up on their own area, otherwise the whole croft would be churned up, and the goats would not be happy.  They do not object to the pigs being there, but I think if they got together, the pigs would eat all the food!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:04:06 am »
I would say it depends on what you feed your pigs.  If you feed a commercial pig nut then no,  the copper content of commercial pig nuts is far too high for goats.  I know its not likely your goats will get a look in at the pig food, but it is a possibility that spilled food might be hoovered up by the goats.

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:07:00 pm »
I agree with HM and the others, they would get on fine most of the time but feeding would need to be sepeate. My Pygmies (or one in particular) loves to find areas to escape through the fence (or over or under..but that's another story) and get into the pig paddocks at feeding time. I've got Gossies and the first time it happend I thought I'd have a dead goat! One snap and that would be the end.... Nope, the goat reared up head butted the GOS sow and then carried on eating. Needles to say I don't let this happen very often, but every once in a while the goat will escape and I'll find her munching away with a litter and sow!

I love that goat  ::)
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

luminousbrit

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Shropshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Think I'll keep em separate, at least until well after feeding times.

Bye for now.
Bye For Now,

Luminousbrit

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS