Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Scottish show a great success  (Read 6268 times)

HappyHippy

First Scottish show a great success
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:30:07 pm »
The pig classes at Lesmahagow Agricultural show today were fantastic !
It was wet, it was muddy (we even got some hail for a time :o) it was windy, and then the sun came out (in between the monsoon style rain showers  ;)) but the crowds were out in force  ;D
The pig tent was soooooo busy - packed out ALL the time  ;D
The Champion Pig prize went to a 12 week old GOS gilt owned & bred by Lisa McCaig, with Lillian's Tamworth gilt getting the reserve - what better birthday pressie ? (and my Berkshire got a 3rd place rosette - but I'm not sure if that really counts !)
Prizes and rosettes galore - I'll post a full list once I get all the offical results (can't remember them now my head is bumping  :D)
A LOT of time, cash and work went into getting it all together (not to mention blood, sweat & tears), but we couldn't have made such a success of it without all those lovely folks who braved the mud and the weather to bring their pigs and those who came along to support us.
The day passed without incident and it was a fantastic sight to see the GOS in the show ring for the champion of champions judging, especially since there were 2 horses in there with her  ;) Who says horses and pigs don't go together  ::) ;D
Here's hoping other shows follow Lesmahagow's lead and we have a full schedule next year (oh, and maybe a few more helpers for putting up the marquee  ;))
Going for a well deserved bath and glass of wine - sure I'll be back later spouting more nonsense  ;)
Thank you ALL and well done everybody
Karen  :wave:
And Lillian, HAPPY BIRTHDAY !  :-*

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: First Scottish show a great success
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:44:15 pm »
Jesus Karen, you bet me to it. ;D ;D you must be able to type faster than me.

pinkpiggies!

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »
Well done ladies.  You all did a fantastic job.  We had a fantastic day and we will definately be back next year.  See you all at the Yorkshire show?!?!?!?!  Thanks once again for a fantastic day.  Lisaxx :pig:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »
*thumbs up* to HH & Lillian, & happy birthday!
and well done pigs!
Little Blue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »
I'm so glad it all went well.  We were thinking of you when the hail came down  ;D  Sorry we couldn't be there to see the fun.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:02:31 am »
Congratulations, everyone. It's not easy keeping an established show going, but starting off a completely new one takes some doing. Time to give yourselves a well-earned pat on the back.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:09:58 am »
That's made my day.  Well done and congratulations all, and happy birthday Lillian.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:24:10 am »
thanks all for the birthday wishes, we all had a great day, came home with rosettes, were wet and cold but had a smile on our faces. We have achieved getting pig classes back to Scotland and our ultimate aim is to show at the highland. Thanks to all who attended and supported us and a special thanks to  the people clearing everything away afterwords. :pig: :pig:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:39:12 am »
and well done to all from me !! :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:48:05 am »
I am so, so pleased for you and for pigs in Scotland. This is brilliant. Let's hope we can repeat the same success at the Scottish Smallholders' Show  :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 10:19:19 am »
Congratulations so pleased it all went well and especially pleased to see a GOS as winner.
A big well done to you all.
Mandy  :pig: :wave:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:24:26 am »
Brilliant, well done you guys that's fantastic news all round  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »
Can antone tell me when the Scottish Smallholder show is & where & when?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 06:10:23 pm »
Can antone tell me when the Scottish Smallholder show is & where & when?
Nothing decided as yet since there is not yet an elected committee.  Suggestions so far are September/October 2012, to be held at Lanark Auction Mart(Lawrie & Symington), with 2013 show held at Thainstone, and alternating.  First inaugural meeting for anyone to come to is at the Mayfield Centre, Stirling, 7.30 pm on 30th June.  Let's have a good turnout and get this off the ground.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:35:35 am »
Well done for organising this and for all those taking part and winning rosettes, sorry I could not get there to see the pigs. Results are on Lesmahagow Farmers soc website. I will need to pop round and congratulate my neighbour Ian Douglas and his Pietrains for their win!
Simon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS