Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: West yorkshire anybody?  (Read 5199 times)

Mrclockman

• Joined Feb 2009
West yorkshire anybody?
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:01:00 pm »
Hi everybody.
Anybody out there in west Yorkshire. There seems to be a distinct lack of any smallholding activity on line in westyorkshire including property sites. I have not, as yet, taken the plunge and bought some land but it's something we are working towards. The closest i have come is six chickens in my back garden
( wich I'm loving ). As I said we are working towards doing this for real but would like to stay in westyorkshire so any info regarding propertysites and starting out would be appreciated.
Cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: West yorkshire anybody?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:07:22 am »
hi mr clockman .

Ian in lincolnshire here

I wish you welll

we are very much in the same shoes- good luck with your searching

I am looking for my smallholding land all the time online but i need the finance in place  first so i can be in a position of strength when the right land comes along . I am lucky that i own  a small business premises that i intend to advertise for sale in the next 2 weeks - then as long as it akes to get a buyer i guess - Then once i have money i can look seriously at what i might be able to get.

Ive looked at several  places all over the country.. Are you looking in west yorkshire only and how much land are you looking for and if i see anything that looks  interesting  i will let you know - hope we chat a good bit here-= im sure we will have much in common. Take care - ian
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:14:39 am by lordlonk »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:53 am »
Hi, Mr Clockman, welcome to the TAS forums.

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:45:23 pm »
hi there
I just typed in property with land for sale and then my area and found the perfect property with 5 & half acres.  Just moving in now & planning like mad.  I know i've been lucky its only 2 miles from where i live now and jsut perfect.
Wish you lots of luck in your hunt - there's one out there somewhere - is what I always believed

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:46:03 pm »
ooops forgot to say i'm in east yorkshire LOL

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:50 pm »
im having a reall good look around in lincolnshire here but i want to move away after 17 years -Lancashire - yorkshire is a favourite so i could spend a bit of time in hebden bridge and todmorden areas- going into the pendle hillsand the gateway to the dales .

Found a few places. Thought i had found a bargain - i found 45 acres at a  low price - coudnt believe it -problem appears to be pipes under the ground leading to a private water supply to a village -owner will be responsible for the pipes. me thinks the pipes are old and need replacing from victoriana days hence the low land price because of the responsibility - always a question in future to ask on any any prosepctive future purchase of land i think .

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:23:44 pm »
Hi lordlonk
Couldn't you take out an indemnity insurance against the risk of this for a set number of years ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »
Found a few places. Thought i had found a bargain - i found 45 acres at a  low price - coudnt believe it -problem appears to be pipes under the ground leading to a private water supply to a village -owner will be responsible for the pipes. me thinks the pipes are old and need replacing from victoriana days hence the low land price because of the responsibility - always a question in future to ask on any any prosepctive future purchase of land i think .
It might still be a bargain - get it surveyed and you then have a bargaining tool to use in any negotiations with the present owner.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:58:42 am »
hi milly

Thank you somuch for that advice - I had not even considered this and iam very grateful - it has been my first choice of land because of the amount of land that is on offer .Part of the land contains a woodland and for me the whole thing would be a dream based on its location.

Insurance had never crossed my mind. When i moved to my home here in 1992 now you mention it i had to takeapolicy. This was because a sale was going through on my old house (i didnt want to lose  the sale) at last minute i pulled out of the purchase of what i was buying in favour of a cheaper property. Because all the searches had not been done  the policy was to cover me against a motorway coming through the proposed house that i was now buying or any other disasters. so its not far similar - I think i will find out from a insurance company that specializes in agricultural insurance  to see what i can find out - Thank you so much.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 08:00:41 am »
Thanks annie

Thats also a brilliant idea - yes - if i have the insurance in place and aware of the problems you are quite correct it would help in achievinmg a better price plus i hope i will have the pound notes to use as a tool too and not borrowed money once i can sell my busineess premises. You are all so helpful here - Thanks so much

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS