Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: growth on chest  (Read 1714 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
growth on chest
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »
2-3 month old pig with a smooth solid growth the size of a small peach on its chest.  I don't know how long its been there.  Touching it doesn't seem to bother it.  It is the runt of the 4 others.  Could this be stunting its growth? 

What is it?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: growth on chest
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »
The criteria for dogs is 'can you get your fingers round behind it' - if so it is more than likely a fatty lump just under the skin.  If not and it is attached then it is possibly a tumour.  I have absolutely no idea whether that has an adverse effect on pigs growth or their eventual usefulness.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:34:07 am »
We had a fattener with a lump on its leg, the vet was worse than useless so i asked our butcher and he said if it was soft and squidgy it was probably just like an internal blood blister and it would reabsorb, if it was hard and golf ball like it was probably a tumour. Thankfuly it was the former and he was right it did disappear.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:07:22 pm »
Could be a whole host of things, e.g. a lipoma (a fatty, benign lump), an abscess, a wart of some sort,... Get it looked at. No point guessing. I would doubt whether it is stunting growth, but you need it checked out, all the same.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS