Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brimming Tips?  (Read 1853 times)

maxstanderwick

Brimming Tips?
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »
Hi, I have two large black that i want to AI pretty soon and i wanted some tips to know when they are brimming.

Hope you can help
cheers
Max  
:pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Brimming Tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:55:09 pm »
Max
I'm a little concerned about you with your polls and stuff.
The fact you have 11 x 12wks old fatteners and now two gilts to breed from and your a newbie concerns me that you've dived in feet first. There are lots of old posts as regards AI on here so search them out.
THink about when these litters will be born and how you will shift up to maybe 24+ piglets, (unless of course you have an outlet already in place - farm shop?)
I know everyone has to start somewhere but please take it steady and don't try to run before you walk.
Hopefully you'll put my mind at rest that you know what you're doing.
Good luck with the AI, we've tried numerous times without any successs.
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

Re: Brimming Tips?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:18:55 pm »
I'd echo Mandy's post - raise a few to slaughter a couple of times til you get to know the in's and out's, it will save so much hassle, head scratching and heartbreak.
For example, what age are your breeding gilts, have they had erysipelas vaccines, wormed ? (orally or by injection ?) Lots to think about and LOTS to learn - you can't just stick em in a field and leave them to it. Again, AI'ing at this time of year - unless it's pedigree breeding stock that you're going to grow on til next spring before selling your market will be quite limited, AI now, piglets born September, ready to sell November (it's not really weaner buying time then  :-\)

But to answer your question - there will be clear signs of season. Her vulva will be swollen and red and she'll stand rock steady when you put pressure on her back. There's no point "getting stuck right in" when she's not in season - you'll only hurt her, freak her out and end up stinking of pig semen  ;) ;D

Hope that helps ?
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS