Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy Pigs :/  (Read 2990 times)

maxstanderwick

Itchy Pigs :/
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »
HI. i have 11, 12 week old GOS. The majority of them have a large amount of small red spots on their belly and they are constantly itching. Wonder if you can help?
They are so happy but I'm a bit worried about this.
They have all been wormed.
Hope you can help and give me some tips!
Cheers Max

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Re: Itchy Pigs :/
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »
what did you worm them with? If you give them an ivermectin injection that should kill any internal and external parasites if that is whats causing the itch  ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:14:37 am »
It sounds like lice or mites of some kind.
If it was an oral wormer quite often these don't treat for external parasites. You can either inject them with a wormer which covers internal and external parasites (especially if they weren't wormed by yourself last time) or use a pour on such as Ivermectin or similar.
It's worth checking your straw too, in case the mites have come from there.
Hope that helps,
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:59 am »
It could also be nettle rash if you have loads of them, calamine lotion helps and you could ask the vet for antihistimines if thats the case. Also our straw has had lots of rats so its full of fleas so you try giving them a good dousing of louse powder, Gold label is available most ag stores, avoid their eyes and mouths.
HTh
Mandy  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:23:36 am »
Also try putting lice powder in their bedding.  Although it does sound much more like nettle rash. 

maxstanderwick

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 12:25:54 pm »
Well i'm not sure what wormer was used because they were already wormed before I bought them.
I dont think its to do with nettles because there is none in their pen.

What would be the best wormer to use to treat this.

Ill give the lice powder a go aswell. Is the internet the best place to get that?
thaks for the help
Max
 :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:48:49 pm »
Find out from where you got them how they were wormed if it was by jab they should not need doing again.
If it was by herbal ::)or pellets you could worm them with jabs from the vet this is by far the best way.
Louse powder get from your loacl ag merchant normally in poultry keeping section. If you want to use the internet to buy (why ??? ??? ::)) you'll have to wait for delivery whilst you piggies go on itching whereas you can go to your ag merchant today/tomorrow unless you live somehwere extremely remote. The internet is good for some stuff but don't think you can get all from it! Bum and off it come to mind.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
11!!!  :o Good grief! We kept 9 back last year and our monthly pig feed bill was ober £260! (good job we already had buyers for the meat!) Do you have any pictures of this rash? Might help one of the experienced keepers? :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS