Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiny teat on Sow?  (Read 4169 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Tiny teat on Sow?
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »
Is anyone able to calm me down before I start speed dialling my vet and making a fool of myself ... again!

2 of Daisy's teats are not looking right ... they are a normal size and you can barely see them as the other teats are still "bagged up" ... she is feeding 7 week old piglets.

I wondered if it was maybe just because these particular ones have not been in use to much?

Alternatively, my finger is hovvering over the button on my mobile so please let me know if you would treat this as a problem?! :-[ :pig: :pig:

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Tiny teat on Sow?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »
After the first few days the piglets usually go back to the same teat each time. Those that don't get used will dry up and I think this is what will have happened to Daisy.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:18:07 pm »
you worry to much you do get  blind teats    heard once of a dairy farmer his bull had 6 teats and some of the offspring had the same so he trimmed two to make them look better         wrong two cut of when the heifer calved it only had two good teats
how many teats has she got      how many piglets is suckling       at 7 wks she will be drying of naturally :farmer:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »
Thank you both ... all were normal last week so thought best to check ... she is still happy as ever! She has 7 piglets and 14 teats (12 functioning) ... little ones being removed tomorrow as they are giants!!

Robert I don't think you were around for my last embarrassment! :-[ I had a pig I was sure was about to die - she was vomiting and shivering and it was really muddy, so I "borrowed" my OH's expensive sleeping bag and went and wrapped her up and gave her some flat lemonade in a syringe while I waited for the vet  :-[. He was only 10 mins away when I called him so artrived pretty quickly just as she did a massive fart and a burp and went off to finish her dinner!!  :D ;D ;D

The vet told me to get a grip and left!! :o ;) He didn;t bother charging me for that one  ;) :pig: :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »
pigs dont read so they have no idea how they are supposed to act out there lives :farmer:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:56:29 pm »
Oh I reckon Daisy knows just fine! Her motto seems to be to cause as much trouble and as much work for me as possible! ;D

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:52:54 pm »
Thank you both ... all were normal last week so thought best to check ... she is still happy as ever! She has 7 piglets and 14 teats (12 functioning) ... little ones being removed tomorrow as they are giants!!

Robert I don't think you were around for my last embarrassment! :-[ I had a pig I was sure was about to die - she was vomiting and shivering and it was really muddy, so I "borrowed" my OH's expensive sleeping bag and went and wrapped her up and gave her some flat lemonade in a syringe while I waited for the vet  :-[. He was only 10 mins away when I called him so artrived pretty quickly just as she did a massive fart and a burp and went off to finish her dinner!!  :D ;D ;D

The vet told me to get a grip and left!! :o ;) He didn;t bother charging me for that one  ;) :pig: :pig:

I love that story!!!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:43:07 pm »
Mao thank god someone as paranoid as me ! Lol made me laugh so hard pigs will be pigs :-))

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:37:45 pm »

Oh Loosey exactly the same thing happend with me and our Delia, luckily i hadn't called the vet because i'd just realised she'd been in the sugar beet clamp and gorged herself silly!! ;D Your story brought back memories!!!
Mandy :pig:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:46:42 am »
Glad I'm not the only one! Rob says I should be banned from the pig paddock as I come back inside with something they need every day ... Daisy looks hot, she needs a shower. Daisy's skin is dry, pass me 5 litres of baby oil and a brush. It's warm, go and get a melon for Daisy. It's cold, Daisy needs more bedding!  ::)

I'll be quite sad when the little ones go this weekend ... or maybe not after I've tried to catch them! :o ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:42 pm »
loosey, you talking about your Daisy sounds just like me and my Hillie (Jersey house cow.)  BH says she is the most spoilt bovine in seven counties - but is happy that we do it as she is so easy to handle and she works so hard!  (Reared her own and a bought-in calf, fed all the orphan lambs, now rearing a third calf and will get another as soon as we can take the 6-day standstill, as well of course as milk for the house - milk, cream, yoghurt, curd cheese, etc etc.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:09 pm »
I'm very jealous Sally ... I'm desperate for a house cow but we just don;t have the time for milking, let alone to do something with all the lovely milk, whilst both working the hours we do.

I might try and swing it in a year or so! :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:26 pm »
It is a lot of work, yes, with a dairy-bred Jersey.  I think you could make it more manageable with a less productive breed ("Shetland!" I hear several voices cry!) and keeping her calf on her, just taking what you want once a day.  I started off like this (though with 2 calves as Hillie has so much milk), and when it got to the point where the calves were taking all her milk I just took them off for 4 hours a day, milked what I wanted then let them back.  I only changed that regime when I wanted a lot more milk for the orphan lambs.

I just adore having her, and her calf, and using our own milk in the house.  But you are of course right to wait until you are sure you have the time.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:08:19 pm »
I think if it weren't for the horses (who take up a huge wedge of my time) I'd be out looking for one. I just need to work a bit harder on my ambition of becoming a kept woman first  ;) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS