Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I only wanted a Kune  (Read 2026 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
I only wanted a Kune
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:43 am »
So off I send hubby to ring the neighbours to see if their spare Kune Kune would be a suitable companion for Harry my Kune and to also arrange delivery of our latest porkers. A pretty easy task you would think.... Hubby comes back all bouncy having arranged delivery of the porkers, assures me their Kune and Harry will be best of buddies and then casually informs me he has also offerred to give their large black sow a new home as they are down sizing. So it looks like tomorrow Elizabeth the large black will be taking up permenant residence at our house... seriously men, never give them an easy task to do  ::)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: I only wanted a Kune
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:34 am »
Ah, be fair on the bloke...... a man with a soft heart(a rarity) and probably an eye for a bargain(I presume it cost him nothing?). :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:30:42 pm »
Ah, but Large Blacks are lovely pigs too, albeit a wee bit more vocal than the KK's (and she should share quite happily with the Kunes providing they're both castrated ;) Though I have heard of KK x LB piglets being sold as meat porkers)
In days gone by LB's were known as the 'recession pig' due to their ability to get by on very bare rations of grass, peelings & swill. (Kinda appropriate in today's financial climate ::) ;)) They are a VERY rare breed (less than 400 registered sows at the last bloodline survey) so it's a breed well worth trying to preserve. You'll love her Wellies, she'll be a big petted lump of a pig and find her way into your heart pretty quickly I think  ;) (Can you tell I have LB's too  ;D)
Good luck with her and keep us up to date with how it's going  :wave:
Karen x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:02:50 pm »
Elizabeth what a perfect name for a LB.  You are lucky having such a big hearted chap.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:13 am »
if it does not work out with elizabeth, you can always eat her. lots of sausages and burgers for a while. :pig:

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:49 am »
Well Elizabeth has arrived, very laid back and chilled about the whole house move. Maud, the Kune who came with her to keep Harry company,also looks particuarly unfazed by the whole thing. I must admit she is huge though, Harry's eyes nearly bulged out of his head as he saw them trndle off the trailer. As long as there's food they seem happy and unworriied by their new surroundings ::) Elizabeth looks a little under weight, probably from only just having her pigglets weaned. I think they took quite a lot out of her so my mission is getting her looking tip top as she is a really lovely girl. Any suggestions for getting her back to her best would be gratefully received  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS