Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting rid of docks  (Read 32592 times)

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
Re: getting rid of docks
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 03:42:50 pm »
Speaking from experience ploughing a field is a great way to create a perfect environment for docks!!  We ploughed and reseeded one field (about 2 acres) a few years back and have spent every year since then spraying (usually twice) to keep the darned things under control.  The seeds can lie dormant in the soil for 50 years plus, so they never go away and plough simply brings them to the surface.  My sheep don't eat them so spraying is the only realistic option.  We have previously used Hysward which does kill them, but not the seeds. This year we have used Grazon (which also does a grand job on nettles and brambles) but I don't imagine for one moment that the docks won't reappear next year.  Grazon Pro (knapsack application) has a 7 day withdrawal before grazing or cutting so is reasonable (we can't easily afford to lose use of the land indefinitely and have noticed no effects on sheep post this period.

We are now considering overseeding the field to try to drown out the docks with something even more vigorous but ploughing (in retrospect) was the worst thing we ever did.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
top - top - top, even if you have to do it with a handmower. They will soon regress and grass will take over.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 02:05:01 pm »
Didn't it used to be Di-farnon-R for docs?

I know people who would spray pasture with a mix of blaster (MCPA?) and DFR as a cover-all to get softer weeds, and docs & thistles.

This was all 10 years ago mind...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »
Chemicals work for that season but the docks do come back.  Topping twice (at least) each summer works - but if you stop topping, they'll be back. 

If they're not too extensive, certain types of sheep will eat them.  If they've taken over the pasture, hard grazing is not a good plan, as (I believe) the sheep will suffer from excess oxalis acid.

A pig will rootle them too - although it gets worse before it gets better, as all the seeds in the soil get brought up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 11:22:50 pm »
A late input to this thread, but grab a length of 20mm diameter water pipe (length to suit your stature) and take time-out to enjoy a walk though your fields, with your dog/s, swiping at the immature dock seed-heads as you go.  Very satisfying I find!!  (A bit of plastic water pipe is the best swiper that I've tested.)  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:27:01 am by arobwk »

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 10:44:10 am »
plastic dog ball thrower might be good too
Never ever give up.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »
plastic dog ball thrower might be good too
Yeah, use a decent one though, I broke a cheap one doing this :D

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 08:24:00 am »
I use the curved end of my crook.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 06:53:25 pm »
I hope it is not your fav' crook you are using for swiping duties Buttermilk!  I've been through quite a few hedge-found "crooks" used for weed swiping duties.  One of which was actually rather nice - shame.  Believe me, a bit of water pipe really is the best "tool" for the job.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS