Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re-introducing weaned piglets?  (Read 2280 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re-introducing weaned piglets?
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:03:08 pm »
The little ones will be ready to be weaned at the end of this month ... they are going to our neighbours paddock, which will hopefully be out of earshot!

Just a couple of questions as this was our first litter!

- How long should I ensure they stay away for? (We have homes for all the ones that are for sale, I'm just wondering when I should let them take them once I can see they are feeding ect okay?)
- What should I expect from Daisy? She is going to be moved to a brand new, never before grazed, paddock which is full of all her favourite things but will she be distressed or is this pig dependant (might be a stupid question! ::)) I'm a little worried about this as obviously we sent Tulip off last month so she will effectively be on her own apart from her best pony friend!
- We are keeping 3 of her piglets back - 2 for the freezer and one for breeding next year ... when can I bring these back and is there a certain way by which I should Re-Introduce them
- Alternatively is it possible that she will wean the piglets herself if I leave 3 of them in with her? She is a good weight (dropped a little 2 weeks ago but feed upped and is now looking as good as ever).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!  :D :pig: :pig: :pig:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Re-introducing weaned piglets?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »
If you leave the piglets on her she will eventually wean them herself, as in the wild, but it not something I would do. I would weaned them and keep them seperately. All mums needed a break! :wave: :wave: :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:23:53 pm »
Thanks Stevie ... keep them seperately indefinately? As this would leave her alone  ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »
A minimum of 2 weeks out of sight and sound of the piglets should be long enough for Daisy to loose the 'maternal' bit, the milk to dry up and for them to all get along fine. As mentioned on another thread, the day you wean cut her back to pre-piglet rations and keep an eye on her udder for signs of mastitus. If you're keeping any boars you might want to keep them seperate from about 5 months onwards, unless they're castrated  ;) to avoid any 'accidents'  :o
HTH
Karen x

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »
Thanks Karen!

No more accident here! The boys will be moved to a seperate paddock in October as we will be having the boar in in November. Do you foresee any problems putting them back in with her?

Also, will her udders return to normal or will they always be "baggy" for want of a better word!! :-[ ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »
They will reduce, but will not go back to where she was as a gilt.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:37 pm »
lol! Oaklands  ;D
Yeah, same as me, 4 kids later.................. ;) ;D :wave:

All should be fine Loosey, just make sure she's not bullying them at feeding time or vice versa.
Karen x

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »
I second what Stevie G has said "all mums need a break" and it's not just the sows. ;) ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS