Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune-Kune Piglets  (Read 8381 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Kune-Kune Piglets
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »
i was quoting local prices to me the unregistered ones are going for £80 which is rather high if you want to eat them.
Ah, but (got to fight them cause for the KK's here ;)) when you consider the cheaper cost of raising them (1lb of food per day -v- 3, 4, 5 then 6lbs a day for 'big' pigs) It does work out cheaper  ;) ;D
I did calculations on here a while ago - I'll see if I can find the thread, think it was called 'Kune Kunes for pork'
Karen  :wave:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:25:07 pm »
They are pure bred, he only has Kune-Kunes, also has a couple of rescue girls. Not only did he let me choose first as I had been in touch a while back but he has asked to bring them to us so he can check our set up. Someone who cares about his pigs. I am so looking forward to having them and I know when the time comes for them to go I will be upset but as they are slower growing I can put my name down for another 2 if all goes well with the first ones. :)

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:41:26 pm »
chickenfeed  just curious or nosey   your Hampshire was it pure or x breed         what age and sex if male still intact       and what was the dead weight
o f the carcase also what was the depth of backfat  :pig:
i have worked out what it actually costs to put a kilo of pork on a variety of pigs and will post on a new thread :farmer:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:43:59 pm by robert waddell »

chickenfeed

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »
hi robert they were pure breed birth notified and registered etc. etc. etc.

the first 2 went off at 7 months and came back as 156lb & 130lb of meat + 62Lb of sausages between them.
the second 2 went of at 8 months and came back 186lb & 174lb + 75lb of sausages between them.

1/2" of back fat

they were all entire boars.

i must say i would snap any up i see locally after having them they were quite laid back  :o after having had tamworths.
the pork is very tasty too.

over the years we have tried

british lops, tamworths, saddle backs, oxford sandy and blacks, GOS and kk's although we have favoured lops and OSB until now.

t

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 05:31:54 pm »
hello chickenfeed a quick conversion to metric as follows in the same order as you listed   first two pigs  84 kilos and71 kilos i am assuming that is boned out weights       the second two 102 kilos and 96 kilos  again i am assuming boned out weight  your back fat =13 mm
all very good so far
we have lop x Hampshire     but remember the lop is not a big pig and our Hampshire's are 260-300 kilos at 18 months
pure Hampshire one cut male and 4 en-tires and 5 gilts                                                                                                                       and the Hampshire x tamworth so far they have doubled there weight in `1 week
i can see a lot of you asking the relevance of all this  if you bear with me until i start another post on weights age and feeding it will all come together(just as a taster it can vary from 60p per kilo to £1.37 per kilo cost to put pork on the pigs weighed) especially when pork costs from £3.00per kilo to £10.00 per kilo depending on where you buy it and the end product  :farmer:
it will be several months before the final weighings       just be patient :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS