Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune-Kune Piglets  (Read 8380 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Kune-Kune Piglets
« on: May 15, 2011, 02:47:33 pm »
Just back from seeing the Kune-Kune Piglets that were born on Friday. turns out she has 4 so we have choosing one cream and the brown both males. Very nice people and lovely pigs. so looking forward to having them  ;D :pig:

HappyHippy

Re: Kune-Kune Piglets
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »
Gorgeous  :love: :pig: I love my Kunes  ;)
Interesting colours, especially since she's spotty - did you see Dad at all ? What colour is he ?
Ooo it's exciting, you'll have to keep us up to date with their progress. Are you rearing them for meat or keeping as pets Sabrina ? If it's pork, and you've no other pigs round about you, I'd be tempted not to have them castrated (it can stunt their growth and take you longer to get them to size) but if they're to be permanent residents best for them to have them off  :o ;)
Good luck  :wave:
Karen x

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »
The little piglet with the stripes seems as if it is a wild boar (I know what they look like I used to have them) The little ginger ones look like tammys and the wee black one at the back could have stripes to. I have breed pedigree kune kune's and they have never looked like this from a pedigree kune kune boar. I do not think the dad was a pedigree kune kune, this is just my opinion.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:28:07 pm »
In my last litter we had some with stripes like this, they faded once the hair came in more though. And mine are pure pedigree Kunes  ;) :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »
our KK had her first litter yeasterday 11 in total some black some black with white patches and some white with black patches and spots, mum is all black dad is ginger with black patches.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:55 am »
11 for a first litter is fantastic for a KK  ;) ;D
Can I be really nosy (again!) and ask your bloodlines ?
Keep a wee eye on Mum as the piglets start to get bigger, my last litter (of 9) needed weaned a wee bit early (6 weeks) as mum was starting to lose condition.
Photo's please (when you can drag yourself away from them to get the camera ;))
Karen  :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:12 am »
karen i have no idea of blood lines tbh we were given 4 kk's last year they were june born and the people that had them were surprised a male and  a female would mate as they were pet pigs, she had such a good nature we decided to keep her and have the 3 boys for meat (which we have done), so we brought in a young unregistered boar and hey.

we will be giving her plenty of goats milk to keep her condition up along with a endless supply of fruit and veg, hay, comprey (sp ?), pea straw, grass and a top up of PBP nuts so she should be fine.

i must admit we were surprised by the number she had it was all over very quickly just before feed time, which she soon tucked into.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:28 am »
11 piglets from a kune kune is fantastic, the most we had was 7

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:20:35 am »
so we brought in a young unregistered boar and hey.
Good stuff with the feeding - she should do well on that  ;)
The bad news is that legally you can't sell them as pure Kune Kunes  :( (that's assuming you're wanting to sell the piglets - me I'd keep every last one I have if I could afford to, soooo cute  ;))
Only registered piglets, birth notified to the KK society and from registered parents can actually be called Kune Kunes. You'd have to call them KK cross.
I'm sorry, I know this sounds terribly snobby, BUT unregistered pigs (any breed) don't count towards the official herd numbers as held by relevant breed societies. What this means is, if in the worst case scenario there was another FMD outbreak your pigs wouldn't get any kind of consideration for being a rare breed and they couldn't be used to establish new herds because there is no record of bloodlines or pedigrees. It's in the best intrests of the breed to only buy and breed from registered stock from a conservation point of view  ;)
Sorry, lecture over  ;) ;D
Karen x

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:51 am »
i understand all that, we have a friend who wants 2 for his children as they keep eating the one the kids get attached to. they know they are unregistered and are happy with that. we intend to keep most for sausages.

we usually only fatten pedigree stock, having said that we have 2 crosses atm just as a experiment.

strange how things work if you buy a x breed calf from market they are usually sold by the breed of the bull. atm the pasports of our cattle state limmi's, simmi's, angus and dexter the only pedigree is the dexter.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:38 am »
yes it seams strange the description of pigs but unfortunately that is how the BPA describe pigs
if you go down the GOS standards you cannot describe a GOS  as a GOS unless it has pedigree parents and is birth notified (they have protected status) and is as far as i can tell illegal and punishable if you  say it is GOS without the paperwork  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:09:10 am »
They really are lovely, bet you cant wait to get them home.

chickenfeed

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:12:37 am »
yes thats how i understand it too.

mind you as far as a kk goes they are cheap to feed but the slaughter cost is the  same as lets say a hampshire (thats what we sent our off with) so if you pay £100 - £150+  for a pegigree kk (i have seen tham at this price locally) the meat then goes from cheap to very expensive imo. so the pure kk for pork could be a non starter if the choice is £40 - £60 for a weaner that will killout with far more meat in less time because at the end of the day price will come into it for most people.

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:35:10 am »
Ah, my slaughterhouse charges the same kill fee for all pigs (£20), but the butchery charges go by weight (80p per kilo) so smaller pigs are cheaper   ;)
Karen x
PS The only ones I sell for £100-£150 are the breeding quality stock, 'porkers' go for less  ;)

chickenfeed

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:40:03 am »
i was quoting local prices to me the unregistered ones are going for £80 which is rather high if you want to eat them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS