Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly piglet  (Read 2532 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Poorly piglet
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:52:46 am »
The largest of my boar piglets is clearly not well. Off his food this morning laying down mostly although he moved fine when he got up. He's drinking ok, but won't eat. I've given him a jag of antibiotics but nit sure what else to do. No visible signs of injury rash or anything and they were wormed when weaned. It was in feed so possible he didn't get much I suppose. Anyone any thoughts? Will get vet tomorrow if no better.

HappyHippy

Re: Poorly piglet
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:11:16 am »
I think you've covered everything Helen (except maybe the worming as you've said) that's why I like the injections for worming piglets - you know they've definately had the right dose and they are still small enough to hold when jagging  ;)
It's possible he's eaten something that's not agreeing with him, or just gorged himself on something. Do you have sheep nearby ? See some of my recent posts on clostridium & lambivac if you do.
Other than that, if he's drinking and moving I'd give it the 24 hours and phone the vet on Monday.
HTH
Karen x

Bet they're getting pretty big now  ;)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:55 am »
Sometimes a bit like us they can have an off day ;as you say he's moving fine  (no stiffness in back legs ) and he is drinkng fine; i would just keep an eye on him at the minute ,and perhaps offer him something sweet and appetising to see if he'll take any food; although one day off food is generally not much to worry about if he appears otherwise ok. Are they outside? He may have just found something out and about that did not quite agree with him and is feeling it's effects.

P.S how come everyone can type faster than me?

lisanic

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshire, England
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:31 am »
I posted similar yesterday. GOS 12 weeks old same symptoms. Have separated it from others and giving it glucose with a syringe. It gets up and has a look around and then goes back to bed. Will ring vet in morning if no better. Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS