Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune slaughter advice needed please  (Read 4103 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Kune slaughter advice needed please
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »
As most of you know i have Kune crosses that will be going to slaughter.  I have 3 that are over a year old and all gilts but i think that 2 of them are in pig so they're staying home (plus one has rly kind eyes) now the rest of them are under a year old maybe 8 months or so.  I have defo got 3 x 6 to 8 month old boars going and 1 older female (over 1 year) and 1 6-8month gilt. 

What i am asking about is;

I was told at mart that Kunes are really fatty and not good for meat, well this is tough really as what else am i going to do with them ....... ANYWAY... does the rules of thumb apply to Kunes that anything under a year old is pork and anything over is ham and bacon?

Theses lot are going at the end of the month and i kinda need to know before i send them and i would rather ask ppl on here who have sent Kunes to slaughter than ask a moody butcher hehe

HH your input will be greatly appreciated x  ;)

robert waddell

Re: Kune slaughter advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »
kune kunke    means fat and round      any pig if fed incorrectly has the potential to be fat
they are smaller pigs so the eye of the meat will be smaller         it goes by weight cutters porkers and baconer's  the last being the heaviest
you will have to watch who does your butchering if they trim the fat to 10mm or leave it on also the rind and if you get the fat back (it can be rendered down for lard for cooking) there should be no bother with you not getting your own pigs  the butchers wont want them (as has happened to others)       you could do the same as the mangalizas and have cooked ham with herbs and spices thinly sliced with horse raddish sauce       until they are hanging up it is a bit of an unknown quantity fat wise  :pig: :farmer: :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:57:33 pm »
The reason bacon pigs don't go til later is to allow the loin (and other bits) time to develop fully, so you get the most out of them. But it is perfectly acceptable to make bacon from 'pork' pigs - just save a couple of loins/bellies from being cut into joints and cure them (you could even do it yourself since they'll not be massive)

Generally 'porkers' are around 20-26 weeks at slaughter, the meat starts to get tougher after this point, but obviously with long, low heat cooking (like a slow cooker) you can soften it as you cook it.

Here's a good diagram which should help
http://www.osovo.com/diagram/porkDiagram.gif

And to those who say Kunes are fatty and no good for meat  :P
Any pig will be fatty if they've not been fed properly  ::) ;)
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the meat  :wave:
Karen x

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »
And I am looking forward to the meat H.H.!! ;D

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »
we had 2 KK boars turned into sausage and burgers last week they taste fantastic  ;) 150lb sausage and 100lb of burgers should see us through the summer bbq season.

anyone want to buy some  ;D

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »
Actually I'd love to try some Kune sausages, to experience the flavour.

We're thinking one of ours will be going on the one-way trip towards the end of the year. Not worried about boar taint as he's a castrate.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:21:12 pm »
we had 2 KK boars turned into sausage and burgers last week they taste fantastic  ;) 150lb sausage and 100lb of burgers should see us through the summer bbq season.

Did you make them yourself or did the butcher make them?  The reason i ask is i am unsure how to get them slaughtered.  I have 3 6-8month old boars to go and need to know what to tell the abattior  ???

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:33:39 pm »
most of the abattoirs only do the killing     unless they have a cutting room in which case they will prepare to your spec        if they don't have the cutting/butchering facility's       you will have to either arrange for the carcase to be delivered to a butcher  or take it home and butcher it yourself :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:55:02 pm »
we are lucky all 3 slaughter houses have butchers attatched with cutting rooms so we just have them kill cut and do he rest.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »
Yes the one we intend to use has a cutting option inhouse which is fab :) the only problem is i don't know what to ask for.  Think i might wing it and tell them to do the most popular cut lol were thinking of making some sausages as a mate has offered me the use of a machine so gona give it a bash but i still don't know what to ask for. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:51:52 am »
Suggest you ask hiim for all the trimmings and to bone out the shoulders which you can then use to make sausages.  Although in my opinion the shoulder is the tastiest joint, long slow cooking, and crackled at end.  Mouth watering at the thought.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »
The guy at the slaughter house (went today) told us not to panic and i can call him and find out what cuts will be best for which pigs after they've been killed, gutted and cleaned and take it from there.  Really happy now i have gone to see him and speak face to face :) really nice old family business and i was suprised at how small it is ...... makes it all better to know i can try to help keep a local business going hehe

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 09:08:53 am »
You are so lucky having the facility.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS